Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Going by holidays, history, and CBS sports coverage, these are the pre-emption dates I compiled for 1987-1992.

January 1: New Year's Day

May 25: NBA Playoff Memorial Day afternoon game but not certain on that

July 13-August 7: Iran-Contra Hearings; not sure how much the daytime lineup was affected

September 7 and September 11: US Open Tennis

November 26 and 27: Thanksgiving

December 25: Christmas

May 30: NBA Playoff Memorial Day afternoon game but not certain on that

September 5 and 9: US Open Tennis

November 24 and 25: Thanksgiving

January 2: Cotton Bowl; New Year's Day was Sunday so the bowl games were on Monday

January 20: George Bush Inauguration

May 29: NBA Playoff Memorial Day afternoon game but not certain on that

September 4 and 8: US Open Tennis

November 23 and 24: Thanksgiving

Tiananmen Square, Berlin Wall, Czechoslovakia revolution have resulted in pre-emptions but not certain on that

May 28: NBA Playoff Memorial Day afternoon game but not certain on that

September 3 and 7: US Open Tennis

October 4-12: Major League Baseball playoffs; there may have been some weekday afternoon games but not certain on that

November 22 and 23: Thanksgiving

Desert Storm may have resulted in pre-emptions but not certain on that

March 14 and 15: NCAA Men's Basketball; the first year CBS had the broadcasting rights for the entire tournament

September 2 and 6: US Open Tennis

October 8-17: Major League Baseball playoffs; there may have been some weekday afternoon games but not certain on that

November 28 and 29: Thanksgiving

Desert Storm, Yugoslavia breakup, Magic Johnson announcement, Soviet Union breakup may have resulted in pre-emptions but not certain on that

March 19 and 20: NCAA Men's Basketball

September 7 and 11: US Open Tennis

October 7-14: Major League Baseball playoffs; there may have been some weekday afternoon games but not certain on that

November 26 and 27: Thanksgiving

Edited by kalbir

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Cool! thanks for this list! :) this all seems pretty legit, though I still have to say that I think all soaps aired episodes on black friday from at least 1991 till sometime in the early 2000's.......I have a Y&R episode that aired on 11/26/93 after thanksgiving.

also for 1992 all soaps were preempted for winter Olympic coverage on February 17, and 21, 1992.

also, though you don't have this date listed, I think Y&R was preempted for O.J on these dates:

June 30, July 1-5-8, 1994....

This still makes me wish for a Jason47 type of site for Y&R/B&B LOL

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

I don't think there's a CBS Daytime pre-emption guide anywhere. We have to guess based on memories and Google :)

Another 1989 event I thought of: San Francisco earthquake on October 17. Although the earthquake occurred in the late afternoon/early evening in San Francisco, there might have been some CBS news coverage in the morning/afternoon the next day.

Forgot about CBS coverage of the 1992 Winter Olympics.

Can't believe I missed Bill Clinton's inauguration in the 1993 list LOL. Also missed in 1993, Major League Baseball playoffs from October 5-13 but I'm not sure if there were any weekday afternoon games. 

Since 1994 was mentioned, some pre-emptions I can think of

January 17: Los Angeles earthquake

March 17 and 18: NCAA Men's Basketball

June 30-July 8: OJ Simpson trial

September 5 and 9: US Open Tennis

November 24 and 25: Thanksgiving

I believe Black Friday pre-emptions have been happening since at least the mid-1990s if not earlier, that's why I include that day whenever I compile a pre-emption list.

• Members

It's just so hard to be certain LOL.....like on my episodes sometimes when there is breaking news, they do one of those alert messages saying one of the soaps will be preempted for that afternoon....Y&R seemed to hardly get effected by this, if not only having the first half preempted, but B&B ATWT and GL always seemed to have full days preempted....and I'm not sure if that meant they just skipped that episode entirely or showed it the next day.....I know on my October 1990 episodes the world series did preempt GL from 10/5-10/10 1990 I think, but Y&R and the others still had full weeks I believe....

I think they started doing a "no show" on "black friday" again from 1995 onwards (except when they air classics or repeats) but 1991 to maybe 94 they always had a show.....on the 11/26/93 episode I have they also advertise "Circus of the stars" which aired on that Friday.....(even though I get a feeling TV advertisements could be questionable too) 

2/21/94 was preempted also for Oympic coverage :) oh and I read recently that Y&R was also preempted on 7/25/94 for more O.J

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

On the flip-side I was wondering about Y&R prime time episodes as I know as of five prime-time eps that aired in 1994, 1995, two in 1996 and 1998. I've heard a couple others rumored but don't specifically remember them airing in prime-time.  I think Doug Shaughnessy wanted to do another but was turned down and stated to SOD they couldn't do another because of previous low ratings performances. The ad below advertises the 3/10/1998 one which was for Y&R's anniversary that year in which Nikki infamously interrupted Victor and Diane's dinner with Nick, Sharon, and Victoria to their amusement to beg for forgiveness for intervening in their marriage but say she and and Josh wanted a baby themselves right before Nikki and Josh were gunned down by Veronica. Also had the climax of Neil and Dru confronting each other with each other's lies if I recall right: 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by soapfan770