Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks!

So much we'd never get today, like that lengthy sequence at the start that just had Cricket happily preparing a meal for Danny. And that sweeping music to start both episodes - the music defined Y&R in ways I never understood until it was gone.

It's nice to see Nina more lighthearted in these episodes. She soon became so dour thanks to David and then Ryan. I do wish they hadn't made Chase so pure and good...if they hadn't I wonder if he'd still be around.

It's funny how I used to watch these years ago and always root for Jack over Victor. Now I can't bring myself to care. With that said, VIctor's plan of putting impotency drugs in Jack's food is bizarre and doesn't really fit who Victor was at this point. And Miguel blithely going along with it is also strange.

I loved seeing Leanna do an extended pisstake of the entire rivalry. "Jabotski" indeed. That self-awareness (also seen in Danny saying how he never thought Nina would be in a position to buy the mansion) is something the show lost later on. And I'm glad to finally get to see some reactions to Leanna from Ashley, which I had never seen (does Ashley know about Leanna trying to kill her or is this just based on Ruthless?). I'd also forgotten Ashley and Brad were together at this time.

Today they'd never show the characters watching the episode, which is too bad, because doing it this way meant we got moments like Jill clearly changing her tune solely to please John.

Marge not recognizing Nina and flummoxing Nina and Chase was lots of fun. I can't believe Cliff didn't brief her though.

Christopher Templeton gives a beautiful performance but the baby stuff is so depressing and feels very isolated. And this Nan (ugh) boyfriend recast seems gay to me. No wonder he didn't want a baby...

The Paul and Lauren relationship was so unique to the show, or to most soaps.

Lauren lost this baby, right?

Did we see that doctor later on? He looks familiar.

Scott is still a drag and I still have a tough time believing he and Cricket are siblings. For a minute I thought LLB had forgotten and was flirting with him like the old days.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Your welcome! I know you've heard it enough, but I always enjoy your input! :)

That intro with Cricket was a little unusually long for my liking but you are right about those little moments that defined what the show was back then.....it's great to listen to the music without that much dialogue too.....

I really did enjoy Nina in all these episodes too!, The Marge scene was hysterical, as were Nina and Chases's reactions....the part where Nina go's "Oh my G*d it's me Nina, Mrs Chancellor" really cracked me up....

it's still disappointing to me how Bell just got rid of Chase in the middle of the David story....they dropped so many hints that him and Nina were going to end up together, yet he just disappears before the real drama even happens....Chase also proved he was a worthy foe of David's on numerous occasions.....

ugh.....the Victor scenes actually made me cringe the entire time watching.....I know Victor's always been an ass, though back then he showed a lot more depth obviously but he's just flat out terrible in all these scenes IMO.....it's just so hard to watch him and Douglas (who I usually love but hate it when he always kisses Victor's ass....) plotting out his bribe knowing he wasn't really going to give Jabot back anyway....and yes I was also so weirded out with the scene of him and Miguel discussing Jack getting drugged and Miguel looking like he enjoyed doing that to Jack.....that honestly changed my opinion of Miguel, which is a shame because he and Jack always had such a warm relationship............I can only hope that perhaps Miguel went along with it because he though Jack was an ass at first but he later changed his mind.......Miguel has even said how much of a good father figure Jack was to the kids......

you would think MAB or Chuck Pratt was ghost writing those scenes.....

Everyone watching Leanna's show was fun.......I always wonder if it's suppose to be a bit of of a tongue in cheek with the actors watching "their" show.....I loved how they used the segment from the one April 1990 episode I posted.....Jill's reactions were the funniest with her looking at John and her horrified look when she realized how much he was buying into the show.....Ashley's rant at the end was great too, and I agree it's nice to see some of more of Ashley's bitterness of Leanna......it's also a good bitterness unlike how Eileen would portray it I hate to say....

Carol was great though that story always bores me.....I'm guessing it ended happily since she got the baby afterall and Skip just disappeared.....haha yeah that recast boyfriend looked more like Nan's father.....

Yeah this was the baby Lauren miscarried....the episode where she miscarried was seen on that other May 1990 episode which was supposedly one of Sheila's first episodes.....I guess this was written in because Tracey Bregman miscarried in real life.

I always like it when Scott and Cricket interact because it became so rare after Scott married Lauren.....something I noticed about all the episodes I just got is that you see Scott interacting with a lot more characters he never usually acts with.....it seems so rare outside of Lauren and later Sheila....

• Members

I always thought of Miguel as neutral, or partial to Nikki. I wonder if they changed the character somewhat and changed stories around somewhat after Nikki and Jack became relatively popular with viewers.

How much longer before John replaces Michael in Nina's story?

Todd Curtis also seems very aged here. I wonder if that's another reason they were phased out. I did like seeing him quietly threaten the boyfriend. It was what a "real" masculine character would do, rather than the prissy chest-thumping you often see on soaps.

• Members

I feel like most of the reason everyone is coming off as more of an assh**e (besides Victor obviously) is perhaps they were still in the process of trying to change up Jack from Lester to Bergman now that I have seen more of Lester I now fully understand why he was more LOVED to hate then Bergman ever could be.....

I'm guessing this was some of Michael (Crawford's) last episodes.....Silva was still there but used sporadically till later that year....

whatever the reasons, it's still painful to watch later scenes of Carol knowing how depressed Christopher Templeton looks for not having a story of her own anymore....

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

I think Michael still fits in fairly well, even without Brenda Dickson around; I do wonder why they didn't have him pop up sometimes, like Mitchell Sherman. I wonder if they got a lot of fan mail about the guy who played John Silva so that's why he got more to do.

Terry was always great at the snappy patter and making Jack seem tough (and yet at the same time, vulnerable). At least in earlier years.

I hadn't actually watched full episodes, beyond the ones I uploaded, in a while, so I'm glad you are sharing new ones again.

• Members

Thanks so much for reuploading and sharing these amazing 1990 episodes! A reminder of why Y&R became #1 and why it stood out from the rest, even when it had storylines like Katherine/Marge going on.

Didn't Skip and Carol actually get their baby back when Nan realized she wasn't up for the task? As for Skip and Carol, I read one source that Skip was mentioned to have died in a motorcycle accident in 1991 but I have never, ever been able to actually verify that claim and I presume it be false. Carol stopped appearing in 1992 or so and was largely replaced by Connie Wayne. Connie has been more mentioned than actually shown and played by at least three or four different actresses, the last one in 2011 was significantly de-aged compared to the previous actresses.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I never heard that about Skip....how sad for Carol if that was the case, but I don't believe that he died like that....that sounds like such a Chuck Pratt thing to do...

Carol appeared till about summer 1993.....who knows if she was still mentioned or maybe even appeared once a month after that?

• Members

Thanks for uploading.

Beau Kazer really adds such heart to his scenes, and to a story that was somewhat stretched thin by this point. I'm glad that the show never got to ruin Brock the way they ruined so many others. The woman who played Lil also does a nice job in this episode. I wonder if Bill Bell cast her knowing her range (as she seemed to be quite an accomplished actress) or if he was surprised. Of course I think I read somewhere she wasn't the first choice for the role? I can't remember.

Jill wanting it all, as she so often did. I always liked her bond with Rex. Speaking of Jill, it made me laugh when at one point in the May 2 episode, a random voice talked over her. I'd almost wonder if it was Philip from beyond the grave...

All the Jack/Victor material feels very flat.

Brenda wasn't as strong as Eileen but I think she still managed to play backbone and toughness, as we see here. Shari Shattuck never could manage it.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Yes it is, but she doesn't show up in the last 2 episodes I have from this month unfortunately...that one other May 1990 episode that use to be on here (May 16) had one of her first appearances but I'm not sure if that was her actual first episode..