Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It sucks that Nikki's first meeting Sharon got video taken down. How phophetic that a woman named Sharon ended up taking over the role and being the best at it.

What exactly was the writer's goal with early Sharon? Was she an opportunist that grew to love Nick, or did she genuinely like Nick but was also an opportunist? It's unclear but it's evident that Nikki was so upity in the 90s despite her upbringing.

Nikki was more down to earth in the clips that I saw of her in the '80s. Sometime around the early 90s, like when she tried to fire Miguel for not serving her alcohol, her bitchy-ness became evident.

I wonder what it would have been like if Nikki and 90s era Lauren went toe to toe.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

Nikki was from a working class background and got the come up with her marriage to Victor. From what I've seen of early Nikki, I don't think she was all about the come up. Nikki wanted to be loved and adored and cared for.

Nikki/Sharon had the Bill Bell element of wealthy older woman in conflict with working class young woman. There was also the element of the wealthy older woman being from a working class background and dealing with a younger version of herself.

During the classics we saw an episode where Nikki was ranting to Victor about Nick being interested in Sharon and Victor reminded Nikki of her past ("you were considered a gold digger once" or something like that).

Edited by kalbir

• Members

That's what I loved about Bill Bell. You could never tell. Sharon could easily have been an opportunist who went after Nick and seduced her way into a wealthy family OR she really was just a young woman looking for love and family but took the opportunities that came her way. Maybe both is true. She wanted love but she was attracted to Nicholas because he was a Newman. 

Brad was similar. Who knows how much he truly loved Traci and how much he loved her BECAUSE she was an Abbott and came with wealth and the possibility of career success. 

I feel like this kind of writing got lost long ago on Y&R

Edited by will81

• Members

EB and MTS presenting at the SOD Awards in January 1990 (their segment starts at 1:03:08)

The 6th Annual Soap Opera Awards - Dixie Carter, Terry Lester : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

EB's reaction to the cheering crowd gives me life. MTS seems annoyed by it all LOL.

Hopefully the full SOD Awards from January 1989 surfaces soon.

• Members

This may have been posted before. The interview where Janice disses her role.

DAILY FACTS, Redlands, Calif. Friday, December 20 1974  Janice Lynde tells all.Soap opera actors try to keep sane By VERNON SCOTT HOLLYWOOD (UPI)

At last, a major secret of the acting dodge was revealed when Janice Lynde let the cat out of the bag about daytime television soap operas. The actors cry to keep from laughing. For years critics and other scientists have pondered the significance of the painful expressions on the faces of soap opera stars when the camera zeroes in on them for long, long dissolves. Miss Lynde, star of "The Young and Restless" daily on CBS, let slip the answer the other day.

"Those painful looks, the expressions of anguish are real," she said. "It hurts because we're trying so hard to keep from laughing. It's all we can do to keep from cracking up." Miss Lynde, a leggy blonde beauty with blue eyes and a sense of humor, is aghast at the words she must read daily. But the sudsy show provides her a good living and an opportunity to work every day. Her role as Leslie Brooks is cast in the tradition of the longsuffering serial queen.

"Leslie is not a normal woman," said Janice, a native of Houston, who plays an inhabitant of Genoa City, Wis. "I've been playing Leslie a year and a half. She is a concert pianist who wants to become a pop singer. She's shy and introverted and at the age of 24 Leslie is still a virgin. "Come to think of it, no one has really made a pass at her since we've been on the air.

She's been kissed twice by her boyfriend, but she refuses his. proposals of marriage." If Leslie sounds normal compared to other soap heroines, hang on, there's more. "Leslie was in a mental institution for 11 months of the show. She was molested by a lesbian there and a male nurse tried to rape her. Actually, I think she was better off outside the institution.

"But she went out and performed a couple of piano concerts and made enough money to buy a nightclub. That's where things stand today." Janice says daytime television gets away with some subjects that are forbidden in prime time, adding, "We're allowed two 'damns' a week in the dialogue." As a sop to sanity Janice has decorated her dressing room with an enormous banner that reads, "Logic is Dead." "Much as I make fun of the soaps, it's probably the nearest thing in this country to British repertory theater," she said. "Nothing I could do on the stage or in movies from now on would frighten me." She has starred on Broadway in "Applause," "The Me Nobody Knows" and "Butterflies Are Free," and appeared on "Mannix," "The Odd Couple," "Barnaby Jones" and other television shows as a guest star.

"One of the reasons I got the part in 'The Young and Restless' is that I really do play grand piano and when I was 14 I was in the Van Cliburn competition for best young concert pianist. "But I don't like playing the piano and I only keep it up because Leslie plays now and then on the show." The piano, however, is all that Janice has in common with poor old wacky Leslie..

• Members

But I do believe that Brad really loved Traci.. He worked himself up and was always defending his relationship. Traci wasn’t convinced that he could love someone like her coz of her weight and stuff. Didn’t Lauren tried to interfere with the wedding? 
this wasn’t just a few episodes. They really built up Traci-Brad over months before even bringing up the wedding. When they got married he took his marriage and job very serious.

i never had any doubt that Brad didn’t love her or used her like Jack claimed lol