November 8-12, 2010

Toups

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

After researching the subject with MEDIA buyers the writer makes an assessment of the current ad trends. Try reading AD WEEK they are filled with such writers making assessment of current trends.

And really is there any need for your snarky nice try and sarcastic tone? Let's keep this civil debate on point, please.

No I didn't miss it as I specifically stated earlier media buyers prefer soaps to TALK and GAME game shows.

Game shows skew far older that's true.

I have a good friend at WCVB-5 in Boston so that's the source of my info on how ABC affiliate contracts work.

I'll try to find the old link but it was Michael Logan in TV GUIDE who noted PC losing its guaranteed time slot doomed it to cancellation. Back then, falling under a certain ratings point meant affiliates could drop the timeslot.

And you'd be very wrong on an affiliate having any choice to break up ABC's 3 hour block especially b/c ads often get packaged together for the larger advertisers. You can make a buy for all 3 hours, 2 hours or just 1.

• Members

Actually, marceline, I keep reading The Talk is making way more than ATWT but have yet to read that claim substantiated anywhere. What's it's 30 second ad rate compared to ATWT? Are they retaining majority of ATWT premium advertisers or getting the smaller cheaper companies? Are they are luring any new advertisers contracts? Those are all questions I would need answered before judging their advertising revenue is on par with ATWT.

Half the people watching OLTL are watching on DVR? Where do you get that statistic?

Toups, can you please post just DVR+ same day numbers. I've seen the overnights come in at 1.5-1.6 so the DVR's add approx +.2 each week.

• Members

Can't think of anything more boring that watching Nancy Grace slander the innocent while chowing down on WACHAI FERRY but that's another story...

I read a lot of material, too much counting my work, but will make an effort to link articles appropriate for someone with a low level of reading comprehension such as yourself. Clearly you have a reduced skill set given your limited/incorrect understanding of the term 'give back' as it relates to networks and affiliates.

If you can't be smart why waste time over-compensating by being a smart ass?

• Members

It's fair to say that, by hiring Chen, CBS probably had high hopes for The Talk. CBS could have just done another game show block if the pursuit were just about steady, yet low, demos/ratings. It should be noted that The Talk is actually off to a stronger start than The View's debut season.

• Members
I'm sure if that hamster in a wheel that you call a brain would just stop rolling for five seconds, it'd be able to come up with something more interesting to note other than my appreciation for Nancy Grace.

I'm pretty sure I understand what the general term "give back" means in terms of affiliates, even if TeamEric had to "clarify" that for me. I also think, out of any of us that post on SON, you're the one with the low level of comprehension. You crank out the same tired ass posts about ratings, the same tired ass racist/classist/homophobic comments that are supposed to be ironic since you're a gay liberal minority type, and your incoherent ramblings resemble those of someone who has stayed up for three days straight snorting meth and downing cans of Four Loko.

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong or when I'm deficient. But I find it interesting that I could be called a moron by someone who, as far as I can tell, does such a bad job at stringing together a coherent, original thought.

I can do research for myself. I just wanna make sure that you got your facts straight when you spend ten to fifteen pages going off about a topic that you know little-to-nothing about.

• Members
Fair enough.

I guess that's your perception of the article. I still feel that ad buyers don't mind talk shows. They want anything that will skew the younger, female demo. I don't think advertisers prefer anything one way or the other. Their preference is for the 18-49 female. And unless the show is something like Wheel of Fortune or Today Hour Four, there's a likelihood that they're probably doing the same demo numbers as a daytime soap(Y&R being the obvious exception). Again, that's just my take on the article.

Thanks for the info...

I don't understand how that would work because even before the story arcs, PC didn't get station clearance on all ABC affiliates. Did they have to ask ABC's blessing to do that, did they go rogue and do it without ABC's permission?

There are a couple of affiliates in Texas and Louisiana already that air AMC a day behind to shove hourlong newscasts in the 1PM/Noon Central hour. Again, did they have to get ABC's permission to do that or is an affiliate allowed to program those three hours in any fashion?

I'm sorry if I was nasty to you. There are some people on this board(I'm SAVING myself from mentioning their names) that post alot of baseless bullsh*t as fact without anything to back it up. You'll have to forgive me for doubting the validity of some of your statements.

• Members

Is that really the best you can do?

Not into sugar coatings, especially for people, like yourself, who have a comprehension void. Seeing as I've experienced certain things first hand, I have no problem pointing out the "tired ass racist/classist/homophobic comments" and actions of networks, advertisers and even audience. Each of us as viewers, based on gender, race, income, race, class, ect., is placed into a certain demographic category and then assigned a monetary value. One does not need to be an "ironic...gay liberal minority type" to recognize, understand or acknowledge that, unfortunately, this is how media misguidedly functions. Furthermore, before screaming, shouting and metaphorically killing the messenger, go research the topic because there is ample information available.

I guess, in addition to "give back", you don't understand how demography in media works, either. Bellcurve, you are in so many ways beyond deficient.

So, what exactly do you have against the "gay liberal minority type"? Clue me in, share those angry little echos you call thoughts. Hopefully, for once, you'll come up with an original idea.

• Members

Okay hold up. That wasn't me quoting a statistic. That was me being colloquial. As in "Why do half the threads on this board turn into inane fights about OLTL?" Like I said, it's a theory. Don't pull me into the madness that is the Llanview Inquisition seeking to root out and exterminate all opposition. What's next? "Do you now or have you ever watched The Talk? Did you like it? Do you know of anyone who has watched and enjoyed The Talk? If so GIVE US THEIR NAMES! Do it now or I will turn your lovely daughter over to my men: John, Todd and Rex!!"

• Members

I am sorry but I find the writer's first 2 paragraphs are very clear:

"As daytime soaps move toward extinction, it's not just restless housewives and the unemployed who suffer -- it's advertisers, who prefer soaps to the game and talk shows that are replacing them.

"Though the alternatives are cheaper and easier for networks to produce, media buyers tell TheWrap that soaps are still one of the most cost-effective buys on broadcast television."

I do agree all media buyers really care about is chasing the younger demo. So if a talk show is attractive to those demos they'll flock to them.

It's complicated b/c not all ABC affiliates sign the same contract. ABC employs a tiered system. PC still held its guaranteed timeslot in one of the top market tiers. Then PC fell below ratings threshold and Boston and I believe it was Chicago affiliate could exercise clause to move their timeslot.

Apology accepted.

Though I only joined SON a few months ago, ratings statistics been a hobby of mine since 1999 and posted about them for years on Soapzone.

• Members

LOL

Honestly, marceline, I'll never understand cheerleading for the demise of a soap just because you hate it now. I get protesting crappy writing, I did that too when I helped in the boycott against JFP's destruction of OLTL. But I never cheered for OLTL cancellation even then. I just finally turned it off for several years.

• Members

Huge difference between actually being smart and attempting to look bright through use of pathetic smart ass comments. You have a problem getting past the headline or sound bite and this lack of rigor generally makes for a blowhard. As for your above remark, it's hackneyed and without wit: The very sort of thing one would expect from somebody who reads without comprehension.

I suggest you do a basic Google search on Media Demographics, check out the research commissioned by the NAACP or even just go to Wiki and read up on Demography before you ever again sound off like the SON village idiot by slandering anyone as racist, homophobic or classist. It's no wonder that you and your pathetic comments are the subject of so many SON emails and conversations.

Again, what did you mean when you called me the "liberal gay minority type"? I'm actually flattered but what were you inferring?

Archived