The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I would praise TWD for telling a story about Rick being on the edge and becoming dangerously close to Shane in taking and taking because it's what he wants...if I hadn't tuned into Talking Dead and seen the woman who plays Jessie talking about "connection" and how Rick needs a strong yet vulnerable woman.

Rick doesn't need a woman, he needs counseling for PTSD. That was not the behavior of a man finding a beautiful connection with a new love. Yet apparently that's what it was supposed to be.

I'll say one thing - this episode cured me of going on and on about Rick/Michonne. If her standing there uncomfortably as Rick is kissing her and staring at her like she's going to go on his wall is anyone at TWD's idea of a bond or a connection, I'll skip it, gladly.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The actress on Talking Dead is there to promote her job and keep viewers guessing. Even if she's dead in three episodes she can't not go out there and promote her character's take on events. But her character's POV is not what the show is writing or producing. You have to separate a promotional forum from the actual show. If the showrunners had any real connection to that talk show we'd be on Season 3 of Daryl choosing between every woman on the show.

On the episode I watched there was no burgeoning great love story that was evident to me, no new female lead. You're right, Rick does have PTSD and I think that's what they're clearly portraying, AFAIC. That behavior is not a foundation for some long-term new romance with this woman. That's also part of the reason Rick, Carol and Daryl are keeping the truth from Michonne IMO, who is more level-headed than Rick and Carol but open and willing to change, not utterly traumatized and scheming the way they are. Michonne is clearly positioned as the voice of reason, who Rick and Carol are currently shutting out. They do have to be strong, but they can't be nuts.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I agree to a point, but the actors are likely given an idea of what they can or can't say. If she knew this relationship was supposed to be obsessive and unhealthy, or if Hardwick did, then I think they would acknowledge that. Instead Rick's behavior toward her is being pushed as a healthy romantic connection by at least one of the actors involved. So unless one of the producers has an interview where they talk about how Rick's behavior is disturbing and inappropriate, then I am not going to have an idea of how we're supposed to interpret it.

• Members

I think the show is absolutely portraying it as potentially unhealthy, too hasty, and as a symptom of Rick's trauma. That's my read of it, anyway.

But either way I just don't think what people say on the talk show is really very relevant to the episodes as written, and I also don't think the writers have to come out and clearly indicate their intentions publicly outside of the actual episodes in order to make that clear to the crazy people on Facebook or whatever who don't get something in the middle of the story or root for the 'wrong' thing. I think they eventually make themselves clear in the show itself and in the stories as they progress.

They're never going to tip their hand all the way in the press, and signpost and discuss it at too much length until the story has played itself out onscreen - that's the opposite of their responsibility as storytellers. They have to preserve suspense and ambiguity, and for me as a viewer I have to either trust in their future intentions and let the story play out and see how it goes, or I don't. I think they've done a good job with this season, so thus far I do trust in that.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Probably, but it was necessary under the conditions in which they are forced to live. Every time The Group finds a safe haven, something disastrous happens. All that kid has to worry about now is keeping his mouth shut about Carol and not putting on too much weight from cookies!