DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I loved Jamie Lynn Bauer on Y & R but I still can't get used to her as Laura. She seems like a completely different character than the previous Lauras. It doesn't help that Bill's affair with Kate Roberts is a revision of what actually occurred on-screen when Laura had her breakdown. I suppose all that wouldn't be a problem for those who weren't around for the earlier Lauras. I think it was around this time that I took a long break from watching Days regularly.

Edited by jam6242

• Members

Here's a Floy scene I uploaded a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=478AtsIO4kw

Floy was cast probably after Bill Bell had been hired. The scripts are written a month or so in advance, so although Floy debuted on June 30, and Bill's first episode didn't air until July 5, he was already on board (and Peggy Phillips had already left) by the time Floy was cast & started airing as Laura, even though they were still working off of Peggy's last week of scripts.

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

Well Peggy Phillips I guess officially created Laura in episode # 165 (aired 6/30/66). But my point was that when the role of Laura was actually cast, Bill Bell was already the head writer by then.

TIMELINE:

1. Peggy Phillips creates Laura Spencer when she writes episode # 165 (say it's written a month early, so 5/30/66).

2. Three episodes later Peggy is replaced by Bill Bell (episode # 168, say around 6/3/66).

3. Bill then starts writing his first episodes in early June (for airing in early July).

4. Floy Dean tests and gets cast as Laura sometime in June (after Bill was already working for the show).

5. They were only taping ONE WEEK ahead of airdate back then, so Floy tapes her first episode on June 22, and it airs June 30.

Just checked the files, and that video above from the August 4 episode is only the 6th episode for Laura!

Peggy Phillips included Laura in her last 3 scripts with the show (6/30, 7/1 and 7/4).

Bill Bell then looks like he decided to slow down the character and she appeared just a few times during his first month writing for the show (7/14, 7/27 and 8/4).

Edited by JAS0N47

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing that. So Bill Bell was still with DAYS in 1977? For some reason I thought he left in 1975. I love how honest and open Bill, Pat and Ann are and Pat's story about fighting to tell Tommy's being amnesiac after returning from Vietnam and having her own family member in the same situation is really interesting. I had no idea. Same with the Trish killing her stepfather story. I would love to see more of 60s and 70s DAYS.