DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Days was in ratings and story trouble by the late 70's.

The characters and stories that Bill Bell/PFS had written thru late 60's to mid 70's had been played out.

Bill/Laura,Mickey/Maggie and Doug/Julie had been through the mill and were happily married but subsequent writers had to scramble to find story that kept them frontburner hence Bill/Kate, Laura going crazy.,Maggie the alcoholic,Julie being raped/ on trial for murder and burnt etc

Also these characters were now in their 40's and in the case of Ed Mallory and John Clarke had not aged well.

Susan Flannery and Denise Alexander were gone and Laura and Susan were damaged as a result.

SORASING Mike and David worked short term but they were also married off too soon.

So the thinking behind an overhaul was sound but the execution was off. Within a few months, characters were killed off, shipped out of town and disappeared while a bunch of newbies appeared.

Had things played out more slowly and the new characters been more interesting things might have n=been different.

• Members

It's not my favorite era but I enjoyed it.  You know I love seeing anything with Doug and/or Julie (though I agree their scene was spoiled a bit at the end with Julie gasping).  I thought the scene with Doug and Marie was great.  We rarely get to see quiet scenes like that on Days anymore.  I enjoyed David's scene with Tom and Alice too.  Richard Guthrie was better here than I had remembered.  I also had forgotten that David still carried resentment toward Julie this late over her giving him up for adoption.  Really liked seeing early Neil and Liz.  They were my mother's favorite couple.  And Don is my favorite pairing for Marlena so it was good to see them.   I hated all the business stories but that could just be me.  I've never really been interested in that topic.  I did enjoy seeing young Josh Taylor in his tight jeans however, lol.  Thanks again!

• Members

Thanks for replying!

The quiet moments are so important. When soaps decided those were just boring, they signed away what made them special. And the sad thing is we get moments like that almost everywhere but soaps now. 

The business stuff just feels like filler. I was hoping we might get to see Mary, as I don't know who was playing her at this time (was it the one between Barbara Stanger and Melinda Fee).

• Members

If Mary was still around, I'm fairly certain that Barbara Stanger was still playing her.  I don't think Melinda Fee showed up until 1981.  Mary had married Alex Marshall earlier in the year (and Barbara was playing her then).  But she could have left Salem for a while after Bob died.  I thought Melinda Fee was miscast as Mary.

• Members

Thanks. I have a hard time keeping track of the Marys. Of those I've seen Stanger was far and away the best. Fee, not to be rude, just looked way too old, and seemed to think she was on Dallas or Dynasty.

Edited by DRW50