October 4-8, 2010

Toups

• Members
But the point someone was trying to make is that OLTL's number compared to a newcomer out of the gate was something to brag or smile about and it's not. Even if The Talk drops in viewers, one main event, one juicy bit of controversy could inch them back up to those numbers or even higher than that.

The Talk needs alot of work. ALOT of work. But so did The View when it started.

Oh please. Where the hell did you read that?! I want a legitimate source!

No one's gonna get View-sized ratings at 2PM. It's unfeasible and for a show that started late out of the gate that no one barely heard about, 2.2 million viewers is a respectable number.

And when has the internet been a good gauge for any offliner's experience? Y&R is garbage and they still haven't experienced a massive drop. When OLTL excels(as you fanbois are so quick to defend), their numbers are still level with everything else on ABC Daytime.

If Les Moonves were to leave CBS, THEN you can talk about this show getting the axe. Until then, it's here to stay.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some shows have their best ratings on their first day, especially shows which have been touted and don't have the best word of mouth.

Do we know what LMAD's first day ratings were compared to now?

I do think OLTL's ratings are going to drop but I am still very surprised The Talk didn't beat them on the first day, considering this show is supposed to be a game-changer for CBS.

• Members

The View started off with only so so ratings and was headed up by Grand Dame Barbara Walters so the current ratings aren't so bad. Furthermore, this is pure profit for CBS as opposed to giving a cut to PGP so The Talk is already a winner. I'd love to see a cost break down to see whether The Talk earns more money for CBS than Y&R--bet it does. Daytime is all about low ratings and bad demos so in house production is logical and this is why CBS tried to buy GL and ATWT is 2001. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bell's sell both shows if cancellation looks possible and Y&R would be a great buy. CBS is a tiny company since the break with Viacom and needs revenue on the main network far more than NBC or the other networks and Mooves is a good CEO for axing my favorite show ATWT--sucks for me but makes his company more cash.

WOW...2.2 for OLTL on Monday and last week a pick up of +250,000 viewers. People laughed when I predicted OLTL would gain as the only 2pm soap. I expect the next set of ratings to be poor with the Y&R repeats; however, over the next few months, OLTL has a lot of room for growth. ABC is smart for adding PGP actors like KZ, TC and (probably) RH and this will only help draw in a handful of new viewers. I predicted a net gain of 200,000 viewers and, last week, it happened. OLTL ratings are always in flux, some of the 250,000 viewers were certainly 'fallen away' fans; however, a weekly jump that big means new eyes. ATWT and GL shared a lot of viewers and many adore Zimmer. Terry Colummbo seems to have a fan base (not sure why) and should help bring in another scoop of viewers. OLTL would be really wise to bring on either Don Hasting as a doctor or Eileen Fulton as an aging slut for a tiny role for the purpose of gaining in total HH ratings. They would be cheap talent and in roles small enough not to annoy current OLTL fans. OLTL will be #3 soap this season...wait and see!

• Members

Not sure but, if she does, it's small and nothing like the PGP situation. Also, she would be easy to buy out in a few years time. CBS makes solid shows and I wish the network would buy Y&R and B&B. Both shows have deep issues and CBS has a lot of talent on hand. Funny--Y&R written by Jerry Bruckheimer--ha (that was a joke).

• Members

I don't think OLTL has to worry about the Y&R repeats. JMO.

Yes you were right about OLTL picking up, but like I said before NOBODY knows what the ratings will be no matter how much of an expect they think they are, it's always wait and see.

• Members

Yeah, ratings are a crap shoot and story choices plays a big role. Jean P joining OLTL may well hurt long term. She starts off strong and then seems to loose focus. I'm not a huge Ron Carivati fan but he is a decent writer.

As for the Y&R repeats, they tend to do great and beat new episodes of AMC and Days on holidays. I'll bet anything that the Y&R repeats rate better than ATWT and get over a 2.0. CBS was smart to do Y&R the week before The Talk as a way to pump up the hour.

• Members

For ABC to put out a press release in response to CBS's is actually worse because it puts them on the defensive. They should've let CBS do whatever they wanted then set the record straight with an addition to the weekly spin report. ("In other ratings news, OLTL's beat CBS's The Talk...") All ABC did was give The Talk additional promotion with a second press release.

Archived