October 4-8, 2010

Toups

• Members

I disagree. Americans spend more time at work now than ever so I think a show with no business/work stories would be even harder to relate to. Plus workplace stories make it possible to introduce new characters and mix them together in far more organic ways so you don't have to shoehorn someone into a "core" family by making them some long lost whatever (another type of story that should be retired) and you don't have to kill them off to get rid of them. Workplace stories can work as long as the writers use some basic sense. Chandler being run out of the living room isn't basic sense. One thing I think AMC has done very right is to incorporate modern usage of cellphones and blogs and the web into their business stories.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think workplace stories can make sense but not the big multinational conglomerates that some soaps still cling to. I think it just looks silly because they no longer have the budget to present this type of setting. As it is now even with corporate settings it's difficult to care. It just becomes a crutch.

I think soaps should just build cheap office sets (although I don't mean Fusion) and other more common workplace settings and move on from the days of big companies.

Archived