Jump to content


edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

This was my favorite one yet. So nice to see them back together again. Kathy's impression of Eileen was spot on and it was nice she humored the fans with that 'kiddo' and 'pal'. It's also funny how some of the slightest mannerisms she has will just bring me right back to the best Kim moments.

 

Don hasn't lost this sense of humor, and I'm really impressed with his memory.

 

The addition of Scott was so nice as well. I know some people were saying he was hijacking the conversation a bit, but I didn't feel that way at all. He seemed genuinely excited to answer some of Alan's questions and quite apologetic about talking out of turn. I absolutely loved his genuinely heartfelt comments about Don & Kathy. I had a weird sense that he was hesistant to make an appearance when Maura was on a few weeks back, so it's very nice to see that's not the case at all. Such a shame the show never brought Andy back at the end.

 

I wonder who will be on next week. Sounds like Alan hasn't had any luck tracking down Eileen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Brolden said:

This was my favorite one yet. So nice to see them back together again. Kathy's impression of Eileen was spot on and it was nice she humored the fans with that 'kiddo' and 'pal'. It's also funny how some of the slightest mannerisms she has will just bring me right back to the best Kim moments.

 

Don hasn't lost this sense of humor, and I'm really impressed with his memory.

 

The addition of Scott was so nice as well. I know some people were saying he was hijacking the conversation a bit, but I didn't feel that way at all. He seemed genuinely excited to answer some of Alan's questions and quite apologetic about talking out of turn. I absolutely loved his genuinely heartfelt comments about Don & Kathy. I had a weird sense that he was hesistant to make an appearance when Maura was on a few weeks back, so it's very nice to see that's not the case at all. Such a shame the show never brought Andy back at the end.

 

I wonder who will be on next week. Sounds like Alan hasn't had any luck tracking down Eileen.

 

Were people actually saying this though? I thought he actually kept the conversation at a nice flow.

 

Alan thought that Eileen lives in South Carolina when Don corrected him and told him Eileen lives in North Carolina.  I remember reading years ago that Eileen moved back to her home state after the cancellation of ATWT.

 

I loved that Kathryn referred to the show as ATWT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott saying he wanted to do scenes with Don and Kathryn as their characters again gave me goosebumps. Scott has aged well. Scott made the reunion flow better. 

Edited by Soapsuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotty D. was a hero today !

 

His reverence and love for Kathy and Don was touching...He clearly understands and appreciates how the show and Don and Kathy changed the course of his life.  

 

Wise move by Alan to get him in there -- as wonderful as it was to see Kim and Dr. Bob again, I don't think they could have carried the interview for an hour, and I bet they were glad to have someone else to share memories and do some of the talking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott saying how things had changed in soaps and that's why ATWT had been canceled. Don replying to it in saying soaps now are garbage...lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know Hastings wrote GL and ATWT under a pen name. Does anyone know the name he wrote under?  He said he wrote GL when Robert & Edith Soderberg were head writers (sometime between 69-73).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't on at the right time to watch today. If they ever have another I hope someone asks Kathryn about when Kim was meant to be 'bad' and the audience reaction to her and the show changing that up. I know she said in 2010 that she felt like the material early on was taken from her own life, even though she knew that wasn't the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RavenWhitney said:

I didn't know Hastings wrote GL and ATWT under a pen name. Does anyone know the name he wrote under?  He said he wrote GL when Robert & Edith Soderberg were head writers (sometime between 69-73).

He used the pen name JJ Matthews to reference his children Jennifer, Julie and Matthew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

Normally I don't link that many videos, but the scenes with Iva and Emma are so incredibly powerful - Kathleen Widdoes, who rarely got the meaty material she could have had, is especially wonderful, with Lisa Brown shining most in the quieter moments of pain. The darker side of the Emma/Iva relationship, like Iva getting together with John, or Emma learning of the Aaron lies, is so compelling. It's also interesting to be reminded of just how much Marland had clearly planned out the Snyder backstory (other than Iva being adopted, I guess). I do wonder how viewers at the time felt about two women they didn't know (or a woman they had only seen months earlier as Nola on GL) getting such intense scenes involving history they knew nothing of, but it's much better to watch than whatever the hell Steven Weber was doing in this episode. 

 

I love how, in the last clip, Marland does not tip off viewers about Iva being Lily's bio mom, but does have that "it's so good to be reunited with your long lost daughter" type line as a wink to what is on the way.

 

(this episode also reminded me of my view that Martha Byrne had much more chemistry with Brian Bloom than she ever had with Jon Hensley) 

Edited by DRW50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Were people actually saying this though? I thought he actually kept the conversation at a nice flow.

 

I saw some comments to that end, but it might have just been a few. I agree with all of you that Scott helped the flow of the conversation, and I actually thought it was funny how he would literally sit back to seemingly prevent himself from answering before Kathy & Don.

 

16 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I loved that Kathryn referred to the show as ATWT.

 

It's funny... It's obviously the go-to abbreviation online, but I don't think I've ever actually heard someone use it vocally (at least not in English, where the W has three syllables. I use it in Dutch all the time, but all four letters have only one syllable here. I kind of like the syncopated sound of the 1-1-3-1 syllabic pattern).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Brolden said:

 

I wonder who will be on next week. Sounds like Alan hasn't had any luck tracking down Eileen.

 

 

I wonder how hard he's tried. She has a fan page on Facebook and I can't imagine that the person who runs that is not in contact with Eileen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if Alan is afraid of what Eileen would say in a live reunion..since he's all about how it looks instead of the real going onstage backstage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...