Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, aside from the fact Scott Holmes should've be canned, period, Tom was in some kind of weird deSOARSing time warp. He was 35ish from the late 70's to the mid-90s. 

Um...hell no. Wally would've made a good Scott by then though.  

• Members

I think they put the brakes on Tom because of what had happened with Dan. They were fortunate in that it worked out as well as it did. I still think that choosing to ignore his '70s past was a missed opportunity, and I'm sure Judith Chapman would have been happy to return as Natalie. 

ATWT blew money on high-priced soap actors for guest stints in the mid/late '00s rather than spending less money and keeping people around long-term. What a waste, and were any of the stories even any good? 

• Members

It probably would've been more interesting to see Judith play Natalie again versus watching her hog the screen at Gloria. At least her presence could've caused ruckus for Tom/Margo, who were in dire need of their own story in the later years that didn't include Casey's latest bedmate or poor Adam being made a rapist. 

Speaking of 70s vixens, they should've brought back Joyce to give Lisa something to do along with Grant. It still boggles my mind how Eileen Fulton was reduces to a background character. 

No to Seth returning? Wally could've been a good Caleb recast too thinking about it. I think he had great chemistry with Maura, which was totally wasted. 

So many strong actors passed through ATWT in the later years that I feel could've easily been made legacy characters. Instead of Sarah Brown being wasted as Julia 2.0, she could've been easily been cast as Nikki Munson, which would've made sense for the Jack pairing as of ties to Hal and Nikki's hatred for Carly. Stuart Damon should've been cast as Don Hughes instead of some goofy mobster. Wasn't Billy Warlock on the show for a stint towards the end too?

• Members

To quote P.J. "Um...hell no."

Please register in order to view this content

I, too, think choosing to ignore Tom's '70's past was a missed opportunity...except I would have re-casted Natalie with Meg Bennett (ex-Julia, Y&R; ex-Liza, SFT; ex-Allegra, GH; ex-Megan, SANTA BARBARA).

Once they brought a SORAS'ed Teddy (or "Ryder," as he preferred to be called for some, silly reason) to Oakdale, there was no reason not to bring back Joyce, Grant, Don, Mary, or even his sister (Christina?) as well.

Ironically, as much as I dislike watching Kelly Monaco, I think she could've made for a good Nikki recast.

Edited by Khan

• Members

No to Seth being recast. I love Steve Basset. As a Caleb recast--maybe. But, as I've been told, there were too many Snyders on anyway. Aahhhh...a properly recast Brad? (one who wasn't suddenly younger than Jack)  OMG---can you imagine a Brad/Barbara affair with Wally and CZ?? 

Don't even try selling Brown as Nikki! FCOL, she was supposed to be a decade younger than Jack. 

And yes. Mr Julie Pinson showed up in ATWT'S last month's creatively cast as some old bf wannabe of Janet's. 

• Members

I didn't mind Seth. I found him to be the more stable Snyder kids. 

As I said before, I would've loved for Wally to have been as Seth and for him to return to Oakdale newly divorced, a successful author turned journalist, who served as co-editor of the Intruder, undermining all of Emily's sleazy stories. 

• Members

No, but I could imagine Wally Kurth as a recast Kirk McColl in a relationship with a newly returned Frannie.

Please register in order to view this content

(Or even a triangle w/ Frannie and Barbara.)

Poor Angel.  Girl just can't catch a break, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Regarding the Scott storyline..Marland originally proposed it as a Chuck returns storyline, but Fulton shot it down with..."No, Nancy Hughes buried him, and whoever she buries stays dead!" 

I think it would have been much better to make Scott, Chuck..(I loved Breen on GL, but he was too old too play Scott...and be a wuss for his "Grandmother" and the characters was too muted...he should have been like Lisa in her prime, a combo of good and bad..but he just came off as boring.)  But it would have been cool if they did it earlier around the Dobson's time, with  Chuck come back with Dr. Shea still being alive..when David goes missing after the John Dixon rape trial a lonely Ellen finds solace (friends only as this is boring Elle) with a new Doctor in town, maybe someone who runs a medical clinic for the poor (so he can stay off the charts more..) and she volunteers there, with Shea  charming her (to hopefully finally get that Lowell money and for revenge. Lisa is oddly put out by Ellen's new friend and can't figure it out..however, she is busy with an "orphan" teenage boy she found sleeping in the alley behind  Fashions..Tom is suspicious as he thinks the kid is a scammer and Lisa is soft because he is right around how old Chucky would be had he lived...meanwhile, the kid under orders of his dad, make a play on Betsy Stewart to get some more revenge on the Stewarts and to get to her trust fund. The kid falls for her of course and then they can do the Betsy/Steve story without the flaring nostrils and yelling of FR, which would make years of story..with Kim/Nick butting heads with Lisa, and Lisa butting heads with the rest of the town protecting her wayward kid.

• Members

When Nicolas Coster returned to the show (as a second character) and Lisa was attracted to him, the writers should have had the widowed Ellen also be attracted to his character.   That would have revived the Lisa/Ellen rivalry which went back to the days when Ellen was sueing the Betty and David Stewart over custody of Jimmy (Danny).

• Members

I agree that Ellen should've been brought back and reigniting their feud might have added more interest, particularly to the history of the show, had it been written well.

One thing that I've generally appreciated with ATWT, compared to many other soaps is that the rivalries, particularly between female characters, usually had little to do with a man/romantic paramour, with the exception of Barbara and Margo over Hal. 

Lisa's feud with Lucinda was particularly engaging because it was about so many things.  Yes, there were elements of the fallout between Whit McColl and Martin Guest but that was far from romantic and those two characters were long gone at the best moments of Lucinda and Lisa's feud.

And the prospect of two women in their 'older and wiser' years feuding over a man...I dunno, it's just not something I'd look forward to seeing.

The one way I see that possibly working is if there are other elements at play and if Eduardo...em, Costner's character was just one of many elements that caused contention between Lisa and Ellen.

But I do like the idea of having given the elder set some actual storyline and if it could've drawn in other people who try to avoid taking sides between the two, that could be interesting.

It would have surely required more thought by the writers and producer to write something good, and at that point unfortunately, TPTB at the show seemed less inclined to take the time to write good, worthy stories for their actors.