Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He was sort of charming on AMC-his character Sam's amused reactions to Opal Gardner were fun to watch. He was hopelessly miscast as Tom in every possible way.

He was sort of charming on AMC-his character Sam's amused reactions to Opal Gardner were fun to watch. He was hopelessly miscast as Tom in every possible way.

• Members

I agree. He was sort of charming in a goofy kind of way, as a SUPPORTING player on AMC. As a leading man, however, taking over an important legacy character, he was totally miscast on ATWT. How he ever got hired is a mystery. Someone in charge had to approve of him. Yikes!

• Members

Lily was such a central role I think Marland felt he almost had to recast her, although he ended up decentralizing her heavily after the "bitch Lily" narrative he tried out didn't go over very well. She then mostly became someone's wife and daughter.

• Members

Um...I'm less surprised that Marland recast her. In '89, Lily was practically the focal point of the entire Snyder clan's lives, not to mention Lucinda. It wasn't a joke to say that the entire town practically shut down to celebrate Lily's birthday. I'm just surprised it was only a three month gap.

As for Goutman recasting her---I was fine with it. By that time, I was beyond tired of Byrne in the role. I don't think they needed to recast though. The way they continually wrote her as a weak and selfish twit grated on my last nerve. Admittedly, the way they trashed Carly to make Lily the "victim" of the affair with Holden made me puke, so I had no love left for Lily's character....but the stupidity of the Rose/twin saga wore out whatever respect I had for her years before anyway.

• Members

I liked bitchy Lily. The almost rivalry of Lily and Barbara would have been interesting considering Lucinda and Babs had one. I wonder if thats why Heather didn't resign because Lily became what Martha played before she left. I am surprised Heather never showed up on another soap or show for that matter.

• Members

I hated Heather's Lily, she was one cold fish. We all knew Byrne's Lily was a self centereed narcassist and bitchy in a stealth way....making people feel bad about themselves as not good enough for her life...its just so odd that none of the other characters seemed to realize it probably because of Marland not realizing it.

I wish they had let Byrne become a bitchy Lily when she was middle aged. An all out finally bitchy Lily who does not have men groveling at her feet (I would have had Lucinda to finally tell her to go chuck it) would be fun.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I loved Julie but it cracks me up that even after 4 years she couldn't model for [!@#$%^&*].

This must have been one of their last fashion shows, other than ones in a blue moon in later years. This one is so odd and so labored...Lyla popping up for a minute to sing an uptempo song (not her strong suit) before leaving again...gushy Barbara. It's weird all around.

And this is so contrived, you just have to love it. Pure Marland though.

• Members

I'm putting up some of the episodes, sans commercials, that btm (can never remember their full handle as it changes a lot) uploaded on previous channels. They said it was fine as long as I gave credit, which I did.

This is the first one, anyway.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Charmane!! I love her I just wish they had a scene with her and Von Furstenburgs snobby, snotty Lisa...( she and Fulton's Lisa would have tag team insulted Lucinda.) James was already tired by this time with his ridiculous schemes..I just wish they had fleshed him out better, but boy was he HOT! I hated Gunner and his weird mouth and what the hell did he do for a living? The Dobson's are gone and the show is more multigenerational here with Charmane butting in on the kids, Bob and Frannie, and David and Betsy..(forgot about that perm she had.) This Frannie and Hastings had great chemistry...you really beleive he is a single father raising this kid on his own and that she loves her dad. I never felt that same connection with the rest of the Frannies as i think Marland built up more of a Kim/Frannie thing.

The show seemed to morphing and in a wierd transitional phase from the Dobson's Tom/Margo/Barbara/James/Dee/John overload to a more family various people getting the spotlight Marland years.

• Members

Gunnar - wait until you see the next one I am going to try to put up (the Christmas one from 1983 that was up a few times) where he howls and hams at some random stalker of Barbara's.

It's so hard to even keep track of James' schemes, he seemed to have so many.

It's also hard to keep track of what they do with the younger characters, as I always thought Jay was her main love interest but at this time it seems to be Kirk .

I agree with you about how believable this Frannie and Bob are as father and daughter. It's a shame that was not ever really developed down the road. I guess this is after Miranda was gone? Or was she still around? I have an awful time with the timelines. I was surprised to see Ariel in the Christmas 1983 one.