Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, although Kathryn Hays (also a former model) probably could have had a career in that element if she'd tried, given how good she was on Star Trek.

I do think Bob held up a lot better than Ken as a character, even if Ken's had more storylines and relevance.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Dr. Al Suker was played by Michael Ingram(not the one from OLTL that played Vinnie, The other Michael Ingram from YDM, SFT, and others.Martha Suker was actress Anne Hegira, and Helene Suker was Jerianne Raphael.

How were the Suker's related? I know Sally was played by Christopher Norris. Did she have a family on the show?

• Members

Sally's family was never shown or (as I can recall) mentioned. I believe that Tom was written off and returned slightly older as played by Peter Link (pictured in the magazine above). It must have been after this when Don Scardino/Paul Falzone/Gary Sandy, Rita McLaughlin, and Ed Bryce were added as Hank Barton, Carol Demmings, and Prof. Demmings. Carol was later written off in order for Tom to romance Meredith (Nina Hart). Swoozie Kurtz played Ellie, the niece of Tom's landlady who seemed to have a crush on Tom. Carol was later brought back to the show.

I do not recall the members of the Suker family except for the father and daughter. I also do not remember the Rice family (Judson Laire, John McMartin, Gloria Howe). I suspect that they were seen primarily during the school year when I was in school. I also remember discussions of the medical situation with Dr. Doug Cassen.

I do recall that Roy Poole played Dr. Jerry Stevens (step-father of Dr. Neil Wade). I had thought that Jerry was his first role, but I have learned that he was also on an NBC soap opera (possibly Our Five Daughters).

I know that the actress who played Mrs. Stevens had previous played a role on The Guiding Light.

• Members

As stated above,Carol was written out during Irna Phillip's absence from the show.That left Tom to get involved with Meredith.I had thought Carol returned when Irna came back in January 1972 and by June Tom and Carol were married.However,looking at the TV Guide cover from August 71,Carol is pictured.

So my question is,when was Rita MacLaughlin written off and when did she return? Also around this time,Donna Wandrey was cast as Barbara Ryan and they were on the cover of Afternoon TV. I think Irna quickly dropped Barbara and steered Tom toward Carol.

Tom seemed to be a popular boy with Meredith,Carol,Barbara and Ellie all interested in ashort period of time.

755eadc1af64c067672965601a4d9298ebd6d543

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I wish there were episodes of the late 60s and early 70s available. The Lisa/Michael Shae stuff seems great! I know I said before that ATWT was my "nap time," so my Mom could watch ATWT and see "What that damn Lisa is up to today!" Eileen Fulton, Hastings and Helen Wagner's voices always made me feel like everything was okay and I was a kid wrapped up in a blanket...(stupid as hell I know!) That had to have been the time of the Shae storyline where Lisa was at the height of her bitchiness and about to start her redemption to a grayer character (i.e. taking the rap to save Tom.) I wish Marland had gone ahead with his plan to have Chuckie Shae return from the dead, and knowing Marland, Dr. Shae would be close behind...that would have been much more interesting then boring Scott.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I agree, Mitch. As stated earlier in this thread, some episodes from those years are in the UCLA Film and Television Archive, but are wasting away as "Non-circulating SRLF archival copies". Most all of the gems they have there from ATWT, GL, EON, and AW are classified as such. I wonder if anything will ever be done with those? Probably nothing, at least not in my lifetime...

• Members

I think CBS used a lot of those clips when they posted some ATWT stuff after it was canceled.

Episodes like this make you appreciate what Don Hastings did to liven up a stodgy role.

I never realized Gloria de Haven played that particular role. I guess it never went anywhere.

What a refreshing sight - a normal, believable child. What a contrast to today's soaps.

There are some Sylvia mentions in that episode, for those talking about her.

Edited by DRW50