As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Did they? I always thought he just vanished or at most mentioned he was off on a trip.

I recall Eileen being disappointed that Chuckie was suddenly killed off. She was probably smart enough to realize that in a few years she would have been the mother of a SORASED character and could grab some airtime.

Chuckie (Charlie?) could have come on in the early 80's. Marland ended up giving her Scott but later writers were not interested.

Maybe Chuckie could have been brought back in a baby switch story. Remind me about Scott, Did Lisa believe he had died at birth?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Nope, I  often make mistakes. I ADMIT when I am incorrect and I don't backtrack to try and shine people on about meaning other things.  I suck it up AND MOVE ON.  You're both here and in the GL thread crying about me, when you should just try a little grace and move on.   I don't passively aggressively post about the corrections. I go ahead and make them.  I also don't post SAT Prep words in my posts to make the things I'm coming up with out of the ether to sound smarter than I obviously am.   Lick your wounds from being corrected and get over it.  No one is perfect. Let it go already.

• Members

John Michael Reed Dec 1979

NEW YORK - As we predicted several weeks ago, cast changes on "As the World Turns" are under way"as new headwriters Jerome and Bridget Dobson {formerly of "Guiding Light") take over the writing helm of the show. Judith McConnell has announced she will resign a contract as Valerie Conway Keith. Thus ends, at least temporarily, the soap career of one of the finest and most underrated actresses on the daytime tube. Judith arrived on the "ATWT" Oakdale scene almost three years ago as a fiery jet-setter. The character had a splendid spleen and a vulnerable heart. - Alas Valerie has been reduced in the last year to a shadow of her former passionate self. She became a piddling complaisant adjunct to the show's stories. That, incidentally, seems to be the standard route that "ATWT" characters take. They start off with a bang and end up with a whimper.

Hopefully, the new writers will add more spicy, multidimensional characters to a show that is glutted with saintly bores. There is hope, since Barbara Rodell is "returning from the dead" in the role of Joyce Colman Hughes. But Joyce's arrival will -mean the exit of another fine and neglected performer, Keith Charles (Ralph Mitchell). Other departures are expected within the month, including Deborah Hobart as Dana McFarland, who'll presumably leave her conflict over ex husband Ian and new flame Bob in order to reactivate her ballet career.

• Members

I remember reading a 1992 interview with Fulton after the Scott reveal.  The previous year, Doug Marland had taken her aside and asked her about Chuckie's death: had he died off-screen?  Marland was hoping to do a "Chuckie returns" story.  But when Fulton confirmed that there were scenes of his death, Marland (who had great respect for the fans) decided not to erase history and instead created the Scott and John Eldridge storyline.  In the long run, I think that worked much better.  It's easier to believe that a young, selfish Lisa had abandoned her child rather than to imagine her hiding Chuckie for decades in a rehab hospital or something. 

Edited by MarlandFan