Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've never seen this episode before. Hopefully there's  more unseen stuff out there.

In just this one episode so much detail is fleshed out about the story.

Ellen going up against Judge Lowell, Don's dilemma in taking on the case etc.

Interesting that Ellen stated that Dan was 4 and a half years old and Don was 27 - seems Irna's SORASING was well underway.

I guess Don had to be aged because Bob was and they wanted an older child for Dan to be able to bring more to the role.

The restaurant scene didn't even have extras, but the background noise and camera angles made it look realistic, whereas today the more elaborate restaurant scenes come off worse with empty tables and a few extras wondering around.

• Members

For some reason, I thought this episode occurred at least two years before 1983.  I was so young, I still wasn't fully comprehending what went was happening on this show during this time period but more than anything else, Barbara, dressed in red, running in that bullring was embedded in my memory as a little kid. 

Those scenes look as if they'd been shot at a completely different time and placed into the episode, which, as a whole appears to lack cohesion.

The "Spanish" sets and streetscapes look good.  The Segovia music toes the line between fitting and a bit 'on the nose', the fight scenes don't look too bad. What really looks bad is Maggie's office (someone needed to pick a theme and stick to it).

Some of the dialogue in this episode is not great and the director needed a good talking to about the overacting in some of these scenes.  

I do like the scenes between Lyla and Maggie and some things never change with John and Margo bickering about Margo's relationship with Tom.  Interesting to see Maggie tell Lyla how she thinks Margo hurt Tom and then wants him back (that would be a recurring practice with Margo in the 1980s).  

Interesting to see Craig (also somewhat overacting) barking at Steve, trying to assert himself as Betsey's husband because in less than three years, Craig would get a taste of the bitterness that Steve had to swallow, pining for a seemingly lost love who he should've married and who is stuck in a loveless marriage with someone else.

Still, Barbara in that bullring is iconic! And little Jonathan Bower!

• Members

Yes that was Richard Holland. He bcame a soap writer? or is that a different Richard Holland.

Looking at the 1983 episode I thought Anne Sward could have played Penny.She evoked Rosemary Prinz.

maggie's office had nothing on the hideous fahion boutique.

A little of  daffy Lisa goes a long way...

• Members

Someone in the comments section said "No wonder Eileen Fulton  decided to leave the show...".

Still, with the sometimes stilted dialogue, the occasional overacting, Meg Ryan's "prairie dress", the gaudy decor of Maggie's office and the boutique and the obvious lack of cohesion between the Spanish scenes and the Oakdale scenes, that 1983 episode was still better than 90% of what the last 12 years of ATWT had to offer.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I loved Ariel's reaction to Cricket and Ernie's conversation as she walks over to the telephone to call Karen.  The look on her face -- "You two are the most boring people on EARTH!" -- is priceless.

I mean, even the way she rips up that paper was a nice commentary on the ridiculousness of that entire scene with those two.  (Ernie's worried about soiling an unwed teen mom's virtue?  Really?)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Speaking of boutiques and fashion, don't judge me but...

I kind of liked Cricket's big poufy-sleeved dress for the time period (not for today, of course).  It was unabashedly 'Big 80s' but at least they didn't shy away from making a statement. And somehow, against all odds, Lisa Loring was able to pull it off! Audacious in a way that only big 80s can be.

I wish I could find the previous episode.  Hey @Soapsuds, that 1983 episode, was it stand alone in the collection, or was the previous day and the day after included too?

Agree DD it was still a pretty solid enjoyable episode. I don't find Maggie's office so bad. Compared to the ugly office sets EON had around this time. Betsy looks like she should be on Little House On The Prairie 

Please register in order to view this content

John & Margo worked so well as father & daughter. The stuff with Cricket & Ernie is so silly. Both Ariel & Karen are so fascinating to watch. I wish there was more of them online. The remote in Spain is fun. Poor Barbara, James was always abusing her. No wonder she changed.