As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I think she was at first, but once she was pregnant with Nora I think she became more vulnerable and softer.

I feel like once Carly returned they quickly put her into the same patterns and same stories so many times, they did very convoluted stories (like the baby money), and they used her more to prop their favorites, like Julia, Craig, or, later on, Katie. The first time around, they seemed to realize she was better than being a Rosanna foil.

Of course it's easy to say this because she left for a while - if she'd come back after giving birth they may have had her stalking Pilar or something.

Watching these 1996 episodes, they still aren't good, but soaps have declined so much since then, they don't anger me as much as they would have at the time. At that time I was still longing for some ATWT which wasn't going to come back.

I liked seeing Susan and Cal having real talks and having strong material, even with the cliched paralysis story. Patrick Tovatt rarely got a chance to act on the show.

I liked seeing Lisa having fun with Zoe and Sarah, although this was quickly ruined by Zoe's shrieking and just crap which went on too long. I think Zoe was, at that time, probably the most unpopular new character ever on ATWT. I did laugh at the line about "be a big movie star like Elle McPherson." When was Elle McPherson a movie star?

I never realized that they had a scene with Mark and Lily which tidied up their past relationship, which had been dropped abruptly.

I heard comments that JoAnna Rhinehart was given little to do as Jessica because she couldn't act. She actually seems fine here, in the only actual story she had during her tenure. The problem is that this behavior is weak and is not in character for Jessica. They sacrificed her character.

I think the "Quinlan and Switzer" crime story was a good change of pace for Tom and Margo, but I don't think it was suited for the actors, especially Scott Holmes. In dramatic situations he just starts shouting.

Nice to see that ATWT still remembered John and Margo were father and daughter. In later years they seemed to go for long periods of time without speaking.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'll be ordering but was hoping for a Bob/Kim set or a Lucinda set or a Barbara set...even a Lily set....a Paul set too would have been great too..all can be done I believe. I'm sure PJ will order 100 copies of it...lol....flove ya PJ.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Yeah, those bastards are prying $20 out of my pocket. Not that Carjack could have a bad episode : ) , but I can't quibble with one of those choices. It might have been nice to have the follow-up to their 2003 wedding (for those of us who'd bought the 20-episode set, so we could see Jack's actual reaction to Carly telling him Sage was theirs) but that's about it.

• Members

Look for the wine cellar episode as the freebie. It was so close to the compass episode in date that I went with the compass for the DVD but knew a lot of CarJack fans would like the wine cellar one as well (hopefully). Since we aren't editing the stories, we were going for some type of narrative arc over the 10 episodes concluding with their happy ending. I wasn't a huge ATWT late '90s fans in general but Michael & Maura are superb in these especially the Teague episode. And since they are whole episodes pretty much everyone appears at some point with lots of John, Hal, Holden, Lily, etc.

• Members

Woo hoo, gI just got my first "these episodes suck" email! :) Seriously though, fan reaction to all these DVDs has been hugely positive. If fans weren't reacting so positively (and obviously buying) I doubt we'd be releasing a 5th DVD already. So the thanks goes to soap fans for these. Next month all five years of Dark Shadows is coming out in one set for around $600. Hopefully the success of SoapClassics and Dark Shadows this year will inspire the other producers/owners of classic soaps to release those as well.

• Members

SoapSuds I think your sig is a good giveaway. I'm just happy for a new release as I finished all of the ATWT episodes. Still not through all of the larger GL set, but that's okay. I'm not interested in every episode on every set, but that is not something I complain about to Roger. Now if nothing of my interest came out for three months or more, let the whining begin. Seriously though this is helping me cope with no more Nixon soaps. wink.png

Edited by ~bl~