Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The number of deaths,marriages and divorces shows how soap writing changed in the 80's and 90's.With people dying all the time and marrying/divorcing so often,those events,so central to soaps lost their currency. Of course,there were now more characters,but still...

Compare to these years

Deaths:

• Jim Lowell

Marriage(s):

• Janice Turner to Carl Whipple

Birth(s):
      • Jimmy Lowell (later Dan Stewart)

Deaths:

• Al James, ATWT's first murder victim

Marriage(s):

• Penny Hughes to Jeff Baker (annulled)
          • Claire Lowell to Dr. Douglas Cassen.

Marriage(s):
            • Penny Hughes to Jeff Baker-Christmas.

Marriage(s):
              • Lisa Miller to Bob Hughes-Week of August 22-26--The two eloped in Gary, Indiana.
              • Edith Hughes to Dr. George Frye
              • Ellen Lowell to Dr. Tim Cole

Divorces:

• Louise and Tim Cole

Death(s):

• Dr. Tim Cole

Birth(s):
                    • Thomas Christopher (Tom) Hughes

Marriage(s):
                      • Janice Turner Whipple to Donald Hughes.

Deaths:

• Carl Whipple
                        • Betty Stewart, leukemia
                        • Mr. Rice. Edna Rice and her grown offspring filed a malpractice suit against Dr. Doug Cassen over Mr. Rice's death.
                        • Jeff Baker, auto accident-Aug. 23.

Marriages
                          • Penny Hughes Baker to Neil Wade

Divorces

• Lisa and Bob Hughes

Death(s):
                              • Helene Suker, kidney ailment.

Death(s):
                                • Henry Miller
                                • Janice Hughes

Marriage(s):

• Lisa Hughes to John Eldridge
                                  • Judith Wade to Dr. Jerry Stevens

Birth(s):
                                    • Jimmy McGuire, who was born in prison.

Death(s):

• Franny Brennan, bludgeoning.

Marriages:

• Ellen Lowell to David Stewart-June 3.
                                        • Sandy Wilson McGuire to Bob Hughes
                                        • Sylvia Hill to Al Suker

Divorce(s):

• Martha and Al Suker

Marriages:
                                            • Claire Cassen to Michael Shea--Aug.
                                            • Penny Hughes Wade to Roy McGuire (annulled)
                                            • Susan Burke to Dan Stewart

Births:

• Carol Ann (Annie) Stewart
                                              • Charles (Chuck) Shea

Deaths:

• Neil Wade, embolism
                                                • Doug Cassen, head injury
                                                • Joan Rogers
                                                • Sara Fuller, injuries from fall down stairs-circa April
                                                • Bill Holmes

Divorce

• Lisa and John Eldridge

Death

[*]Mother Steiner

Divorces

[*]Sandy and Bob Hughes

[*]Claire and Michael Shea

Births:

[*]Dawn (Dee) Stewart

Marriages:

[*]Elizabeth Talbot to Paul Stewart

[*]Lisa Eldridge to Michael Shea

Divorces:

Births:

[*]Betsy Stewart

Deaths:

[*]Dr. Michael Shea, murdered

Deaths:

[*]Claire Shea

[*]Chuck Ryan

[*]Miss Peterson

Marriages:

[*]Carol Demming to Tom Hughes-July 26

[*]Jennifer Sullivan Ryan to Bob Hughes

[*]Susan Stewart to Bruce Baxter

Divorces:

[*]Elizabeth and Paul Stewart

[*]Dan and Susan Stewart

Deaths:

[*]Paul Stewart--November

[*]Maria Marino, following gall bladder surgery--November

Births:

[*]Emily Stewart

Births:

[*]Frances Jennifer (Frannie) Hughes-Christmas

Deaths:

[*]Elizabeth Talbot Stewart, from internal injuries suffered in a fall on the stairs--February

Marriages:

[*]Elizabeth Talbot Stewart to Dan Stewart

[*]Kim Sullivan Reynolds to John Dixon

[*]Marian Graham to Peter Burton

Divorces:

[*]Susan Stewart and Bruce Baxter (annulment)--March

1974

Divorces:

[*]Grant and Joyce Colman

Deaths:

[*]Gil Stallings, hit by truck--March

1975

Marriages:

[*]Natalie Bannon to Tom Hughes.

[*]Will (Grandpa) Hughes to Irma Kopecki

[*]Sandy Wilson to Norman Garrison

[*]Carol Hughes to Jay Stallings

[*]Lisa Shea to Grant Colman

Divorces:

[*]Tom and Carol Hughes--April

Deaths:

[*]Jennifer Hughes, auto accident-October

[*]Norman Garrison, heart attack-Dec. 10

1976

Deaths:

[*]Will (Grandpa) Hughes-June

[*]Brian Ellison, farming accident--April.

Divorce:

[*]Kim and John Dixon

Birth:

[*]Andrew (Andy) Dixon-Week of Oct. 25-29.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Hopefully my Christmas in Oakdale DVD will be either a belated Christmas/New Year's gift for myself. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm highly anticipating it after reading your review of it Carl.

Willis Sparks and Hayley Barr obviously married some time after that. Other than temp casting frequently for Beth Ehlers on GL I don't recall if Sparks was on any other soap or not.

A shame Rattray did nothing else in daytime. I know she's gotten an unfair amount of criticism over the years but I've never found any problems with her performance. For me its more of a Eileen Davidson/Brenda Epperson thing than anything else.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I'm sorry you haven't received it yet. I think you'll enjoy it. I was lucky in that my DVDs don't seem to have any problems, although they did mix up delivery.

I think Rattray was just seen as not being Martha Byrne. I can see why many would not care for that. She was my first Lily, and for me, the best. If I hadn't wanted someone to slap MB's Lily for most of her run, I might feel differently.