Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I guess if you want to rationalize it that way. I've had to do it often with the daytime soaps. But i think everybody assumes she was talking about JR because of all the cheating he did on her. What she should have said was, "I've been cheated on about 40 times...I'm pretty good at picking up the signals." That would have made more sense.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing for me with that line is, JR did no great things and wasn't a great man in any sense. I love him and he is the best soap villain ever, but within the show the guy only did terrible things and often failed, needing to be bailed out by his mother, father and brother. I don't think anyone can point to a single thing in Dallas canon that qualifies as an example of greatness on JR's part.

• Members

The show never addressed race.  I don't think a single Ewing dated anyone not white except for the dream season when JR did business with the south american spanish beauty.   There is nothing in the show to indicate JR was a racist, although it would not be unreasonable to assume that going by his age and conventional wisdom about the south. 

I don't think JR even blackmailed anyone who was black.   They just didn't exist in that world, and I would guess that was reflective of the Texas oil community circa 1980?    The hostess of the bar was black and everyone was always respectful and polite to her.   There is one cringe worthy scene from the mini series with Jock and two black workers.  While their dialogue and depiction is cringe worthy, Jock doesn't show any racist traits.

• Members

JR was a lying, amoral sonofabitch---but the show has made no bones about JR's business acumen and strategic manipulative prowess. It's not about being some kind of saint, but follow in JR's business footsteps and stop screwing around (which always got JR in trouble).

They've flip-flopped like that since the start. I don't know why...I think Patrick Duffy should be first anyway.

• Members

I know this is a little off-topic but does anybody watch Step By Step on The Hub? it's interesting to see Patrick Duffy in a role that's funny and he's a little bit of a goof. They just reran the whole serise once so they are on their second run. Also we get a chance to see Sasha Mitchell as crazy Cody. Dallas fans know him as JR's oldest son (i don't beleive he's been mentioned on the new show...not even when JR passed.)

It's kind of amazing about Patrick Duffy's career. I think he said he went like a week between Man from Atlantis and Dallas and then two weeks between Dallas and Step By Step. so except for the season where he was "dead", Patrick worked pretty steadly from 1977 to 1998. I think we can count on one hand television actors who've gotten that lucky...in that small space of time.

• Members

Still enjoying the show, but I would have liked a little more oomph in this evening's episode. That was like a Tuesday on a daytime soap cliffhanger. I just don't care enough about Nicholas to give a damn.

• Members

Why the hell does Elena want revenge anyway? 'Cause JR screwed her father? That was JR...and he's now dead. Maybe I've just forgotten something, but this makes no sense to me. The Ewings weren't behind her brother's problems, that was Ryland. WTF would she take Cliff's word, when he coldly ordered her brother to blow up that rig with Pambecca on it?

• Members

I don't see her motivation either but this season is gold compared to season two. I like that there has been slightly less Ann and that Emma and Elena are now stirring up trouble, though I still wouldn't mind them to be recast or replaced with new characters.

• Members

I definitely agree this is a better season. Less Christopher and his who should I !@#$%^&*] problems, less Elena and less Ann and Ryland.

I wish Pambecca were a little less clueless, but in general, it's going in the right direction as Bobby and John Ross battle over Southfork.

• Members

1921638_751397784878209_751397491544905_

Now we have some good old family action coming up next Monday. Afton slaps John Ross, argues with Sue Ellen. Ray wonders where John Ross is. Sue Ellen hitting the flask. This is going to be a fun episode. Play it up with friends and family so people watch it live.
Next week looks really good!

Archived