ATWT: September 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm not an ATWT fan, but I'm tuning in for these last three weeks. I have to say, if Bob & Kim had been this prominent all along, I'd have watched every day. I love the old days when soaps had real, substantial intergenerational relationships – so I loved the Kim-Katie scenes. Kathy Hays was so great, I rewound and watched twice!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There for the grace of God might I look as good as Hatings and Hays and Fulton and Masters and Hubbard when I am that age, lets hope the surgically enhanced and plastic eye candy does as well.

I know what you are saying but the limitations are only there for bad writers and producers with blinders on. ATWT is not Days or GH...it has never just been about sex and romance. That is part of the mix of course, but its more about dealing with all of that and still being part of a family and community. I do agree that the vets dont need major storylines, but they need to be in the mix, on more and adding substance to the ridiculous pairings and break ups of the younger ones (and really, look how many times Holden and Lily and Jack and CEERRLY broke up and make up..talk about boring.)

• Members

Finally caught Tuesday's show...solid, for the most part. Even though I generally like Katie, yeah, there was too much of her and Chris, and then she got two flashbacks.

That first Lisa scene, where she was hiding behind the windows when Barbara came, was so sad and very depressing for how short it was. Just a real lost feeling in the whole thing.

Lucinda/John were great all through the episode. Two former lovers with nothing to lose, unable to be hurt by anything anymore...just loved it.

I wanted to see more of Nancy rapping!

They always get me with that clip of Chris I. "There's only one Nancy..." *sigh*

• Members

Beyond talent, I think a lot of the vets are actually more attractive than a lot of the eye candy brought in in recent years. ATWT has had some hot guys and some beautiful women over the last decade but they've also had a lot of people who seem like they got melted or lost in a factory.

• Members

I will also give ATWT the credit, in that it has stayed mostly family based these past few years. I actually think Passante is a step above Shaffer, his ATWT after his first six months was all about jewel thiefs, being stuck in that damn fake island every summer, rapid aging, James Stenback, doing a Stefano impression, Barbara turning into Sunset Blvd. JP has kept in mostly down to earth and about families, even if her writing doing so stunk. And I just have to compare GL to ATWT in terms of how they treat their vets and their families..we are going out with the Hughes family getting the lion share of the story and on GL the Bauers were treated as walk ons.

I also liked the Lisa scene and think we needed to have more. Lisa IS feeling lost right now...Nancy was her mother figure, the one person who could keep her in line and still kept on loving her...I loved their last interchange together, "Lisa dear, Your not HELPING!" totally, totally their relationship in a nutshell.

Fulton looked on top of her game at the Daley center, but in some scenes she seems to stammer, and sputter a bit. She has always kind of had that affectation (which I must admit I found annoying) but it seems more prominent now, I wonder if she does have problems and thats why they give her so few lines. Even compare her to Susan Stewart, when they bring her on, she has lines, and contributes, but Lisa just seems to pop in and say a line and they push her back.

However I think Fulton delivered Lisa's feelings right on with just her body stance. And I love that Babs is now the person to help take care of someone else. I love Bitch Barbara, but she has never been unfeeling about others and that is how sometimes Shafer and PAssante have potrayed her.

• Members

I think ATWT missed some opportunities with actors like Billy Magnussen (who was very hot early on and still is but is paired with such a dull character) but I think they were better off not having as much focus on "hot" young characters as some other soaps have. This almost always fails. It's a strange juxtaposition because other soaps have been more blatantly sexual but in a very asexual, clinical way. I get more passion out of Henry and Barbara or out of Bob and Kim just laughing and joking than I got out of that dead-eyed Lante "love" scene on GH. That's one of the things which I think ATWT worked well at in knowing certain strengths or what they could do. Like back when Marland was writing, Melanie Smith exuded sensuality, so he wrote scenes which showed how sexy and gorgeous she was. There was an adult sensuality there, and in other scenes like when Jessica saw Duncan without his shirt on and was drawn to him.

Passanante made a lot of mistakes but I guess in her own way she did have some interest in families. Beyond the stupid storylines I always got the impression Sheffer just hated families and family structure. He has destroyed the family element on all his shows. A lot of the press were so thrilled with him because they see this as boring, but that's what ATWT was built on.

• Members

I don't mind them having Lisa as lost, it's just the likelihood that she may stay lost and not find any peace or real happiness which makes me sad. Not everyone in life gets a happy ending but I at least would like to know that she and all the other vets can have some type of closure and something to keep them going. It's not fun to just think the last images of Lisa will be a sad person in the background. That's what Lisa all her life has been terrified of being.

Archived