ATWT: September 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

Wow, I didnt think about that, imagine Lisa going up against Kim, with Bob bereft in the middle. Especially since Lisa has already lost a son. But that would take sensitive writing, which we havent seen.

I do think that they tried to avoid an ending like that which would leave the core characters sad. I know, I know, Luke is part of a core family..but they are Johnny come latelys, so I consider the Hughes and the Stewarts the old school core familie. I think people are making a little too much that the gay character dies..I don't think its any kind of homophobia...they are just trying to create a dramatic ending which would leave the main family happy, and doing it in their own sloppy, inept way.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree.

I was all about Luke/Reid for the first couple of months, but once we were supposed to believe that they were "in love" and soulmates and this and that, I was tuning out. It's lazy, lazy writing, and it's the same thing they did with Noah. The thought process is..."Well, the fans really want to see these two together, so let's not waste time with details like why they love each other, let's not waste time trying to build a believable relationship. We're already getting raves just by having them stare at each other and attempt to kiss, so let's just put them together so the fans can be satisfied." Six months or however long it was just wasn't going to be long enough to properly tell the story they wanted to tell. It was easy to buy the attraction and maybe even a relationship between the two, but not all of this soulmate/lovey dovey nonsense. There was much more to be done towards that. Which, it's not like the rest of the show is getting an A+ on telling whole, believable stories, but the difference is that this story is going to be praised on the strength of its gay characters even though the story itself is just as piss poor as the rest of the show.

It would have been perfectly acceptable for Luke to end up single. This is where fans have to look beyond the last episode and acknowledge that life will indeed go on in Oakdale. Luke and Noah are 21 years old. Yes, "the hetero couples" are pairing up and having a happy ending, but most of "the hetero couples" on this show are in their 40s! All Luke needs is an older mentor to make him realize that there are plenty of fish in the sea and that he also needs to check his bait because he's not the most desirable boyfriend himself. A perfect way to end while leaving it open to the viewers' imagination what happens down the road.

• Members

A very well written post!

I do think that the gay couples have become like the black couples were in the 80s and 90s..they are paired up simply because there was no one else around for them to pair up with...(well, at least they were real characters that made sense.) I never believed for a second that Reid would be attracted to Luke for anything other then just a roll in the hay. And if they did end up together, it would all end up in misery for them both, they are totally ill suited for each other.

And a total agree on Luke just being 21 and acting it. He has his whole life ahead of him and he has a ton of growing up to do before he could have a full mature relationship..much like his mother still has growing up to do (so I guess Luke should find the gay equivalent of Holden.) But then again, Reid needs to do a lot of growing up himself. The thing that wouldnt work with them is that they both think they are the center of the universe, and both are really still selfish brats.

However, I do agree that they should have shown them having sex..but ATWT is not keen on showing *any* of its characters just having it off.

• Members

I am refusing to believe they never had sex. It's just impossible. So even though we never saw it (and I would love to have seen it, make no mistake), I'm going out with the image of Reid being Luke's power bottom, and loving it.

I'll just say I'm glad you never got a job writing soap operas.

• Members

You are kidding me, you think Reid would be the "bottom," of that relationship??? Actually, I think they both would be pissy bottoms and that is why I don't think it would work, however, in matters of degree, Luke would definatley be "Princess Bottom," in this relationship! (And the poor straight posters are rolling their eyes...)

• Members

I can't believe they're spending more time mourning Reid than they did Nancy. Ugh...now we'll have to sit through another BradleyRaines HenryLange Angus is a pervert moment to pointlessly explain more of Reid's backstory.

I did love John and Lucinda though.

• Members

Yes. And I was hoping what she wanted to ask him was "WTF is Andy?"

I wish I could tell you I knew. That's just the version I've decided on for myself.

Oh, yeah, on John and Lucinda. This whole week has been wonderful in terms of who's been on and who hasn't. I found myself wishing they could have one half of the cast members (the ones I like) on one week, and the other half, the other week.

Another moment I liked in particular today was Alison's describing the operation to Luke.

I thought "Henry Lange" did an excellent job of looking like someone Reid could have been related to.

I do, too. But this was the first day I didn't cry. I really like this Lily as Luke's mother. I would have a hard time believing Martha Byrne being this kind of supportive.

Archived