ATWT: September 2010 Discussion Thread

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Margo was angry with John for being gone for so long and never staying in touch. How could he? TAIC have had him locked away in a closet for ages. Freaking pitiful, but if the show weren't going off the air, he would've stayed away even longer.

Was it just me, or did Margo seem like she was on speed when she came into Katie's apartment? At first, I thought she was acting that way to distract herself from her conversation with John, but nope! She just kept racing around like a headless chicken. What was up with that?! Maybe she was rushing to hide Reid's things before Katie became a blubbering mess again... (aaaand she did...again....)

It amazes me (in a negative way) how Reid's death covers 3 episodes, but Nancy's barely covered ONE. Idiots. Just.....soooo stupid. And such a letdown!!!

"Is this a gay thing?"...Luke, c'mon, GMAFB!! I hate when people say this in real life, and I hate that this line was even scripted. It's just stupid. I mean, really, what was the point in that?! And WTF was Luke thinking??.... going into Chris's room, standing there stoic as Chris went on and on about Reid, leaving in typical LukeHissyFit fashion ("I can't do this!!") :rolleyes: , and then propping the door open so that Chris would hear clues/make assumptions about Reid's demise...???? <_<

Lily?? Crying?? On today's episode?? Nooooooo!!! (insert look of feigned surprise) I swear... ever since they recasted the part, she has become Oakdale's resident whimpering wailer. (Aside from Katie, of course.) I realize they wrote Martha some pretty bad material, but it seems like ever since Noelle started, it's been everything anyone can do to keep Lily from falling apart!!

Spot on, Ann_SS!!!!! The fact that Chris is a DOCTOR and was selfish enough, and stupid enough, to act like a supposed "serious" heart virus would just go away with time and NOT affect his heart, is just dumbfounding. He better not say the FIRST thing negative about having Reid's heart because it was CHRIS'S ACTIONS that caused all of this. If he slaps himself everyday, drowns himself in tears, hangs his head in shame, and daily beats himself up over this whole thing...it still won't be enough for me.

JAY, QUIT TROLLING!!! There is a zero tolerance for it here at SON. The only reason you put this is so you could bait others into negatively reacting to you. So, stop. There is NO use in it.

CarlD2, I don't usually agree with your posts, but this is one that I could high-five you for!!!!!....ESPECIALLY the last part!!!!

• Members

Actually that's one aspect of the writing of this story that is accurate. Medical power of attorney ends as soon as the patient dies. There's a separate "disposition of remains" form that needs to be signed for someone other than next of kin to have legal authority over what to do with the body. It's even less common for people to know to do that than with POA, and as with POA, it's an issue that affects LGBT people disproportionately - marriage automatically makes one's spouse the "next of kin," without yet another form to fill out at a point in life when one is not necessarily thinking about what will happen to one's corpse. It could have actually been a good educational sidebar if they'd explained the legalities of why, even with Luke having POA, Reid's remains would still be at the mercy of his creepy uncle who molested half the ingenues of CBS Daytime in the 80s. Because heaven knows, if this story were going to be a PSA for anything, it certainly wouldn't be organ donation - Tom going on about all of the strings he pulled to get Chris the heart and how he was sure he had closed the "deal" was enough to make me want to white out the signature on the back of my driver license.

That said, as someone who's only been watching regularly this summer, the past few episodes were pretty moving, but I never completely went there because I kept being taken out of the story by the glaringly unrealistic aspects. It's wrong on so many levels that I nearly laughed when Reid woke up and was able to articulate his desire to be Chris's heart donor. It was supposed to be sad, but I really couldn't suspend disbelief...if he wasn't brain-dead immediately, and apparently none of the organs that can be harvested for transplant were damaged, then how exactly was he DOA? And Chris is already awake before Luke's family knows Reid is dead? But the acting was good. I think the Luke actor did a nice job - I know he's panned a lot, but just from having seen him this summer, I think it's kind of too bad that he's had to play an historic character like this at a time when the level of directing/acting coaching/rehearsing (not to mention writing) that was available to previous generations of young soap stars is simply not there. He has potential, IMO. And the fact that they found the actor playing Reid this past year just makes it all the more sad that NY soaps are all but dead, because he is such a great example of the talent that's out there in the theater and will not be able to make some extra money while lending a little bit of class to DAYS or one of the Bell shows. Is it blasphemy as someone who was not/barely alive to be watching soaps in the 70s and 80s to say that Betty Rea must have been smiling down when they cast this guy? And even from my cursory viewing I knew Hastings and Hays and Bryggman never disappoint, and I was right.

The saddest part, really, is that for all the flaws in the writing, these past few days are still a lot better than what will be left on daytime a week from Monday. I wish I'd watched more of this show, even in the past few years.

• Members

You have to miss the days when Hal and John went around populating Oakdale by knocking up various women (sometimes the same women...), bringing in long lost kids, and acting as stepparents and father figures to later miscast scions of Oakdale.

• Members

Eh, Martha shouldnt have shot herself in the foot and she would still be there....(though I will admit it wont seem like ATWT going out if I am not being annoyed by her and her character.)

I do think Beck would have made a better recast Frannie..think she even looks a bit like JM.

Okay, I know I shouldnt bring it up, but WHO is this Jay character who shambles into town and calls all of us "bitches." I feel like I am a new character in Oakdale who doesnt know who Johnny Dixon is!

Archived