August 16-20, 2010

Toups

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just have this feeling that a lot of str8 guys watch soaps but it is a downlow sort of thing. Can you imagine a layed off contruction worker talking Y&R with his buds over beer? In the 1970's, OLTL was known as the 'Thinking Man's Soap' due to it's large male viewership of college guys and seniors. Clearly, gay men watch soaps but they probably make up less than half of the total number of the total male demo (gays in general are less than 10% of the total population thus you're gonna have some major math issues if you remove hetro males from the numbers). In general, I agree with Eric on soaps being all about habit. I grew up on CBS, my ex BF watched ABC--we hated each other shows! It is almost like how someone can be a Mets fan for no real reason aside from thier Dad being a Mets fan. Since the 1980's, I feel like we've seen somewhat of a pattern regarding show rankings with Y&R, B&B and GH being the tops fan favs. Certainly, since the mid 1990's, GL, ATWT and OLTL have been the weakest shows with only a few short term ratings surges.

I've enjoyed Nuke, but it was a stunt that got ATWT mentions on CNN, ET and various other programs. It was strong enough to boost the show into 3ed place for 07-08 but didn't have enough staying power. The writing, overall, became weak and any gains were lost. I consider it sort of sad because out of all the soaps, ATWT seemed like it had the biggest chance to reboot and pick up new fans due to all that press.

• Members

B&B has been in a creative swing as of late. I hope they can maintain it. How I wish Barbara Ryan would come over to B&B and have her clothing line (is it Ryan Originals?) compete with Jackie M and Forrester Creations. I can see Stephanie and Barbara going head to head. I just don't want Barbara bringing any of her kids with her.

Archived