August 16-20, 2010

Toups

• Members

You aren't alone. OLTL has made too many enemies from a variety of fanbases. That's part of the reason they're at the bottom of the ratings. I wasn't a Kish fan but I've never seen anything as foul as the way TPTB blamed Kish for the ratings. That was a new low.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed, Atwt even managed to tie at 4th place in 18-34 demo where they always come in dead last place and far behind their closest rivals at the bottom. I'm actually impressed by the shows year to date growth and would have to guess, based on the current pattern, that the program would gain even more past the finale in September. It has a plum time slot, follows the top rated soaps, and would be fine with the proper focus. I think they will do really well based on this weeks material come next weeks ratings. It was far from perfect but this weeks shows had a great mix of characters and story.

The Brenda repeats were a bomb! They should have worked her in differently, maybe letting her spend a few days on AMc, then OLTL and finally GH as part of an inter-connected storyline. Brenda was big but not this big. Imagine if CBS had done this for the return of Ashley Abbot on Y&R: BARF!

Was thinking it is too bad CBS did not buy the rights to ATWT characters: Barbara and Henry would have been a great fit for Campy B&B. Also, they could have taken NUKe and made a new show for LOGO. I'd bet that PGP would have sold cheap--dead shows have little value.

• Members

Wrong! The majority of male soap watchers are str8. If the majority of viewers were gay, ATWT and KISH OLTL would have been top-rated in the male demo instead of in last place. Gay guys like watching gay guys--pretty logical. Right now, World gets very few male viewers; however, until Nuke, they generally came in at 3ed or 4th place. I just highly doubt that gay men refuse to watch gay-themed soap.

• Members

I have a feeling that if not for Brenda GH would be much lower in the ratings at the moment. Basically while they may not have had a significant bump, they've managed to stay stable suggesting that while Brenda's return may not attracted new (or lapsed) viewers it maybe has encouraged those who are fed up with the show to hang in there a little while longer.

Of course this probably means that once the luster of Brenda's return has well and truly worn off, GH will see significant drops.

• Members

It HAS improved (by some degree) although they've now made Ford Jr about as unlikeable as his brother, and I could care less about David being in Morocco again... I have to say I'm kinda surprised OLTL is dead last in male viewers (though most of the numbers aren't too diff really)--in many ways *in a cliched sense* it seems like one of the more masculine soaps on air--they love serial killer storylines, you see cops and the police station every single day...

• Members

I don't think that's fully true. I do think a lot more straight guys watch than the cliche that still exists--and maybe it's a lot more than gays, but there was a study done in the mid 90s (it's talked about in the book Worlds Without End which is a collection of essays around the Museum of Broadcasting's soap exhibit at the time). Anyway they found AMC *at the time* had the largest gay viewership (this was just before they did their gay story) the reasoning why was they liked the campy comic characters like Opal, and the divas like Erica--those were the overwhelmingly chosen reasons. All the gay guys who watch soaps watch primarily what every show(s) they formed their habit on. It's true as a young teen I started watching One Life after AMC because of the Billy douglas gay storyline but all my gay friends who watch ATWT (except maybe a few who have seen some Nuke on youtube) watched years before Nuke came on.

• Members

I admit Nuke made me tune in a bit more--especially at first (I always sorta followed ATWT though so it wasn't like tuning into a brand new soap) but I'm far from the average casual soap viewer who really does follow their show(s) and that's pretty much it. On the other hand, even though I'm a big fan, I can't help but agree at getting some pleasure by the fact that OLTL has clearly proven that their veiled comments about Kish causing ratings to drop, really didn't have much truth at all...

Archived