Next soap to fall?

• Members

I don't think the ABC soaps are going anywhere in the immediate future. ABC is still investing heavily in them (star returns, HDTV, AMC's move to LA) and probably still makes a pretty penny off them. If they can retain the viewers they currently have, they should last another 3-4 years. I agree with whoever said that Y&R and B&B will be the last two shows standing. I'd place money on Days being the next to go.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only know the ABC soaps, and I grew up on AMC. It has been my #1 soap since about the day I was born. It's boring me to tears and OLTL took over "happyfaces' top soap" status. :( (but :) for OLTL). I want to keep all of my ABC soaps, but I'd be least saddened by the loss of AMC (no disrespect intended! I'm sure they'll give me a storyline soon). *awkward introductory post*

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I do wish they'd consider cutting them down to 30 mins. (When do we start seeing repeats every so often instead of new shows at ABC like they said?) But my worry is they won't even consider it. I do know that doing one hour soap is cheaper than two half hour soaps--but obviously 2 half hour soaps is cheaper than two hour soaps...

Demos ARE very very important, but I always wonder how the slight differences between the various demo numbers of soaps (with a few exceptions) really makes that huge a difference. Fans certainly think so, but I have some doubts.

I do hope OLTL goes to HD as promised, but I kinda have my doubts...

• Members

The problem IMO is that a half hour soap would still have the worst characters. It's the problem with B&B. Why should I care about a half hour if I still have to sit through Taylor and her frozen face daughter, and the same tired repeat stories with Brooke and Stephanie?

• Members

If this is true, I don't even think I would care anymore. OLTL is horrible and it isn't going to get any better. I will be sad if it goes, but it is just so bad. I can't believe any cancellation rumors on any ABC soap until the reduced episodes and OLTL's transition to HD play out.

• Members

Oh it's going to happen this time ;) They are taking the first step this fall by beginning to broadcast episodes in widescreen format that will start airing in December. Then the transition will be completed sometime next year. This is from someone associated with the show. ;)

Archived