Next soap to fall?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe the soaps will stay stable for awhile. I think ATWT and GL were cancelled more because PGP wanted to get out of soaps than with anything to do with the shows themselves. If it was based solely on ratings, ATWT could pull their socks up. GL was driven into the ground, unfortunately... and its end was timely. ATWT had a lot left in it, but P&G wanted out of the soaps game.

I think that as long as the soaps that are on now can either keep viewers (GH, Y&R, B&B), fare well internationally (B&B), present an established "brand" (AMC, GH, Y&R) and even just balance to budget to turn a little bit of profit (DAYS, OLTL) then they can stay on. I think ATWT and GL just brought the genre death idea to a head... but soaps have been a staple since just after the second world war... (and before, on radio, but I mean GL and ATWT in the early-mid 50's and then through the 60's and 70's...) and I think they are a part of our consciousness as a society... everyone knows what it is to refer to something as a "soap opera", and even if they're being ridiculed, the idea of them is pretty well established in most people's minds. A world without soaps is kind of unthinkable... and the capacity for them to be wildly popular is there, look at Europe... and those soaps are a lot more of what we'd consider to be "boring" (aka nobody comes back from the dead and we don't have witches and portals to hell and who's the daddy every five seconds)... as soap viewers we've just become disillusioned and everything's been done. They need to shake it up and make soaps something that aren't viewed as mindless pulp-fiction style garbage... I say a soap on HBO or Showtime... that would be epic.

Maybe the rest of the soaps will just coast. Aside from rumours, I don't think anyone was even thinking of the day one of the remaining soaps would be gone because all of them had been around soo long, sure others had come and gone like EON or SFT but our current lineup had been pretty well established and were doing - if not well - not deplorably...

So ATWT and GL shows us it could happen, we have to sit back now and see if it will... re: cancellation of the other soaps I say it's probably but not certainly. Let's wait and see.

• Members

Safety net? Are you kidding? All soaps are pulling in 1.9s & below, save Y&R and B&B.

I'm SO. MOTHERLESS. SICK. OF. THESE. THREADS.

Can someone please mention Vicky Rowell, Kim Zimmer, Bola Koof, or racism so we can close this thing? Or turn it into a backstage gossip thread full of actor bashing?

Please? :mellow:

• Members

I think it's going to be AMC. I don't see how ABC can justify cancelling OLTL over AMC when OLTL consistently gets better demos than AMC.

Jamey Giddens at DC said not too long ago that not to be so sure OLTL is the next to go like is being speculated

LMAO at the ones who whine about these types of thread, but yet take the time to read them and post in them........

• Members

I think DAYS and B&B will both go off the air by the end of next year (2011), in September and November, respectively.

Sometime in 2012, when Soapnet will be no more, ABC will cut one of its shows, either AMC or OLTL, based on the demographics at that time. I don't think it matters how either show does in women 18-49 right now; it only matters what the recent trends are when they make the decision in 2012. Whichever of the two is spared the ax will be cut in 2013, unless the first replacement programming bombs, in which case they may wait another year to cut the second show (2014). GH and Y&R will likely be the last two shows standing, but I don't expect either show to make it to 2016.

• Members

I will say that canceling AMC would be completely asinine, especially considering that AMC is clearly the better looking show. If AMC is suffering from budget issues, then they need to fire the person who makes the budgetary decisions.

Ellen Wheeler(minus shitty handi-cams) or Goutman will do. Thanks.

• Members

No. NBC is bringing on the Real Housewives repeats and promoting it with Days, they are clearly trying to build a nice little cheap daytime lineup around Days. Days will make it past September 2011, after that? It's anyone's guess. But yeah it's a toss-up for real. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy my main soaps (OLTL/DAYS) until they get canned. No use in sitting around overanalyzing what will happen.

• Members

HH ratings don't count to the networks. It's mainly about W18-49 and to a lesser extent W18-34. So B&B is not in better shape than DAYS and the ABC soaps. I'm not sure what role B&B's supposedly strong international following plays in its ability to survive. I don't see why that would matter to CBS. Maybe that would make it possible for them to go to Lifetime or Direct TV and survive there, by supplementing their revenue intake with international support.

I think that at some point over the next 10 years DAYS, B&B, OLTL and AMC will all be canceled. But it could happen very gradually, and it's also possible that it won't happen at all. There are so many factors that go into these network decisions. For all we know, CBS will decide that they need to replace Katie Couric at the evening news, she'll be persuaded to go to the morning show, CBS morning will finally start competing with ABC and NBC and that will make them decide to extend it for half an hour, which leads to B&B's cancellation. It's just way too complicated to know what could lead to different shows being canceled at different networks at different times.

Steve

Archived