Next soap to fall?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I say they just cut AMC and OLTL back to 1/2 hour or 45 minutes each like back in the day... it would cut down on production costs significantly.

If they did 45 minutes each, that would allow for another 1/2 hour reality/talk show in there somewhere, which seems to be what they are eyeing for.

What makes it a difficult decision for ABC is that OLTL has better demos than AMC, which this year has had more viewers. But OLTL is the 2nd youngest skewing soap behind GH, which seems like something that they care more about... AMC has one of the older audiences up there with Y&R and B&B.

• Members

Days

OLTL

AMC

GH

Or it will be like this

OLTL

Days

AMC

GH

ABC soaps are safe until soapnet goes off the air in 2012. I do feel that AMC and GH will be the last 2 remaining ABC soaps and they will be cancelled back to back like GL and ATWT were.

Y&R and B&B will be the last two remaining soaps on air, B&B will most likely find a home on a cable network. However, someone smart will figure out a way to bring soaps back from the dead and I wonder if P&G will wanna play again.

• Members

I see B&B as safe for a while because of the !:30 time slot in the East allowing for CBS to round out the hour. Also, I can't think of their being a better lead in for The Talk. I see AMc as the next to go but could be wrong. Lucci has no major power in the industry and is a pretty expensive actress to pay. No show rides on one star. OLTL is cheap to make, has better demos, and, for a long time now, has gotten better critical reviews from the soap press.

I still have trouble understanding why PGP didn't try to sell ATWT to CBS. Soaps are dying; however, the network should have been able to make some money for a few years.

• Members

I'm wondering if we will see any more cancellations in the coming years.... perhaps they have "cut the fat" so to speak and the remaining soaps represent what the networks want to maintain.

On ABC - they've said repeated they will support their soaps, and are the only network with a full afternoon lineup. On top of that ABC owns all of those shows, so no matter where they start they make all the money.

On NBC - they seem to want to head in a different direction but incorporating an actually soap (Days) with the newest reality trash in soap's clothing, so it doesn't look like Days is going anywhere. It's also one of the more respectable soaps today having gained and generally maintained it's gains in the face of the tightest budget going.

On CBS - we've got the co-owned CBS/Bell shows and those are legacy soaps. I don't see CBS wanting to kill either Bell drama especially when they consistently pull high in the rankings.

And this is just the information we're privy to. We don't even know the back room stuff like who's pulling down big numbers in alternative viewing options or what the truest rating really are.

I think soaps in general will stay as we have then now for the foreseeable future. The eye is currently on internet soaps and seeing if any of the remaining six can make that leap or even if they should.

Archived