Y&R Discussion for week of July 5th

• Members

And that is the million dollar question. Whether she has any control of her performances anymore, of if she's merely a puppet. I think she's great in general.. it's just her skill set isn't suited to this particular storyline. And of course, the red shiny satin swathed across her ample midsection is NOT helping matters. why doesn't she just wear stirrup pants and horizontal stripes while she's at it? OF course it wouldn't surprise me that Rauch would be bossing her around. This show has always had a chauvanistic undercurrent behind the scenes, considering how Dickson and Rowell don't have the clout to get away with stuff that Braeden and Bergman get away with on an almost daily basis. Other soap divas carry their clout and can use it... Lucci, Slezak, Zimmer..... but Y&R's divas have all seemed to have had their wings clipped somehow. Cooper has never even crossed them in a MAJOR way.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest, if Dickson was still playing Jill, her character (as played by Walton now) would NOT be the same person, hence the storylines would be completely different. There is no way anyone would buy the idea that Jill is a Fenmore if Dickson was in the role. What the current-day writers have done is destroy any iota of history from Y&R's characters; the whole up-from-rags Jill Foster battling the high-and-mighty Katherine Chancellor is what made Y&R so riveting in the '80s. As for Lauren, I will never forget the terrific Lauren/Danny/Tracey triangle in the mid '80s, when I was watching Y&R with my mother and older sister. I was always pulling for Tracey.

At least this nixes the concept of Brock and Jill being direct siblings--which I didn't like from the get go.

• Members

Cosign on the Abby love. LOVED Rylan on GL and wanted her on AMC. Oh well, at least she's doing great on this show. Love how she stood up to Ashley. So did she and Daniel really have sex or not? Oh and did anyone find it creepy that Tucker had the clip of her going at it on his phone. I thought he was going to whip out a blog post about it; not the actual sex tape.

Hated Nikki and Katherine gossiping about Jill like two old hags. How presumptuious of them

Are they really trying to force a sister rivalry between Jill and Lauren. This is so pathetic as is Jill. She was so over the top, changing her name and trying to force herself into the Fenmore family. Isnt she like 60? This is something Id expect coming from someone much younger

• Members

Jess Walton in her interview with Michael Fairman regarding Jill's ever changing parentage,and story direction.Michael says it's hard to keep track.

Jess replies:

It is, isn’t it? I agree with you, and it used to bother me. I would try and keep a steady course with it, and now I can’t. Now I just roll with the punches. It’s impossible! For awhile there you just kind of say things like, “My character wouldn’t do this, and who is this?” But now, I just kind of go, “Oh, my God. This is going to be fun”, because it’s something new, and it’s something different.

Seems a veiled way of saying she's not thrilled with the current state of Y&R. Who can blame her?

• Members

Yeah, she just realized it's not worth bothering to make sense of her character anymore. It obviously took her years to realize that the people in charge don't know what they are doing. She knows she needs the money, so she's keeping quiet, just like most of the other actors. It's depressing.

• Members

Agreed that the whole Jill as Fenmore thing is inane. They're writing her motivation as some kind of family-less nomad who's been wandering the earth desperately trying to find a family to fit in with so that her life makes some sort of sense. Now that her newfound sister Lauren has rejected her, she's out for blood. Truly WTF! It's ridiculous. This is supposed to be a smart, savvy confident businesswoman with kids and grandkids who came from a fully nurturing, loving family (the Fosters). I understand the need to add conflict and to mix up characters who've had little interaction in the past, but how about going about that in a way that's at least somewhat character-driven?

• Members

And Jill was a woman who liked loyalty. She didn't always practice it but she did her best to return a lot of the time. So Maria having Jill acting like The Fosters, Abbotts & Chancellors were all inconsequential speed bumps to her REAL family is WAY OOC.

Jill & Nikki's exchange was fun though.

Mel & Jess have always worked well together.

It would've made MUCH more sense for Jill to start her OWN company & go after Fenmore's THAT way.

But as usual Maria squandered SO much potential to actually give Jess & Tracey Bregman (amongst many others) meaningful stories the past few years.

Archived