Y&R Discussion for week of July 5th

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Such a wonderful line! I was just coming to post about it. It's one of those lines you just hope someone will use and there it is. Nikki is so condescending to so many others (though I don't mind it when she socks it to Phyllis) - you just wonder why they all take it from her.

• Members
I don't agree with her diva antics or the way she saw her character, but Brenda Dickson would have drove Maria's ass crazy until they were forced to recast with FOM Mel Harris. Jess needs the job. Glad she's here. Not happy with the way her character is getting dicked over.

• Members

I love Marcy Rylan - loved her on GL... can't take her as Abby and it has nothing to do with the SORASing fiasco. It's the fact that the writers seem to really want 'Lizzy Spaulding' and not Abby Carlton/Newman.

I was just watching DAYS and EGADS! They're stuck in the 70s! The 90s is a bit of an improvement, but I get your point and agree with it.

The Jill Fenmore thing? Deeply bothersome. The writers should never have goofed around with Jill's paternity. Never. If there was a long term plan, I don't think any of them knew what it was. I'm looking around to see who's kid she'll become next. :blink: Poor Mrs. Foster (and isn't that name ironic now)? She's just the woman who raised Jill, keeping her from her 'real' family.

I can't say it any better than this:

• Members

Abby is a caricature, not an actual character. This Paris Hilton wannabe crap was all over the place ... in 2005. No one cares anymore, and as usual, they're late to the party.

There's really nothing to this character, she's such a fame obsessed airhead, this type of character belongs on B&B, not Y&R.

• Members

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here... and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jess and the way she acts, but she DOES hold a bit of resposbility for Jill seeming as pathetic and desperate as she is right now. I hold the writing at fault for about 80 percent of it, especially with lines like "all my life I never felt like I fit in"... but Jess COULD play AGAINST the writing and not make Jill appear to be so pathetic by having her raw emotions so close to the surface. Like it or not... that hard, bitchy shell that Dickson would come out with would have done alot to take the edge off this SL, and keep Jill more true to who she really is. Jess is just going too much for the "wounded deer in the headlights" thing, and it's exacerbating all the shortcomings in the dialogue.... when the type of thing Dickson used to do would go along way to defusing it... because when Jess delivers these lines, she comes across like Jill is TRULY feeling this way, while Dickson's bitchy aloofness would come across as "I'm saying these things... but I don't really feel this way, I'm just trying to fu*k with all these people because I get off on screwing with their heads".

• Members

I can't say that I disagree. JW is playing Jill in one mode: angry, screaming, nut-job. There are no subtle performances with JW, anymore. Jill was more of an unrepentant schemer, not a scene chewing monster. I still think she had the line of a lifetime with the 'tassles' comment to Nikki. I

• Members

It doesn't really seem like she's playing Abby, or any character beyond generic rich bimbo #23. That means once this gimmick stuff wears off, what's left for her? Probably being raped by the psycho of the month.

I'm not sure she could. Keep in mind that Paul Rauch told the press he was telling Jess Walton how she is supposed to act. That means she might have to do what they want her to do, or else.

• Members

The odd thing is I think they are pretty much writing for Brenda Dickson...or their idea of Brenda Dickson's Jill anyway. A lot of their non-stories for Jill seem like something Brenda would have been better suited for, like her going back to filing nails. Basically a glammed down, degraded version of Brenda's Jill.

Archived