My first earthquake!

Toups

• Administrator

So there was a minor earthquake in Ontario and parts of the US about 30 mins ago. My house was shaking for like 30 seconds and I was like, "What the hell is happening!!??" I can deal with snow/ice storms but not my house shaking! Even though it was minor, I never want to experience that again. LOL

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I experienced my first earthquake about two years ago when one occurred here in Kentucky. It was minor as well, about a 5.2 I believe, but it woke me up with the windows rattling and everything. It was unnerving.

• Administrator

You didn't feel it? I'm talking to people in Toronto and they felt it.

Yeah, I this one was about a 5.5.

I don't know how Californians deal with this. I can't imagine going through a huge one. LOL

• Administrator

Probably, but this was the first where I felt my house shaking and it lasted a while too.

Too bad you missed out. After the initial "What the hell is happening?" moment, it was pretty exciting. LOL

I was in the basement of my house watching DAYS. There's always little rumblings that last 2 seconds, so at first I thought it was that but then it just kept going for 30 or so seconds. At first it was pretty scary because I didn't know when the rumbling would stop.

• Administrator

The quake only last 10 seconds, but it felt like 30! LOL

Here's a video of a dude working out when the quake hit. :lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKg4skHe3V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKg4skHe3V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKg4skHe3V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

I think it's adorable how someone taped it. :) In California, most of the time we just keep on doing what we're doing and wait for the shaking to stop. It's pretty much a fact of life when you grow up with them. Heck, we learn earthquake drills before fire drills.

Glad there weren't any injures and no damage.

5.5 is a nice size. It's the over that you kinda stop and go, "oh, maybe I should move somewhere safe." :lol: The big one will no doubt hit Cali, and we'll all die from apathy and not moving. "This isn't the big one..." as our houses cave in.

• Members

Where I am, Vancouver Island is right on a massive faultline apparently. I remember when we moved here as kids, I found all the Earthquake drills terrifying (especially since our ancient school wasn't then fully up to Earthquake code). Since then scientists have predicted a super major Earthquake within 50 years (helpful, aren't they?). It doesn't bother me as an adult now, though we have small earthquakes maybe every other month (tha you can feel, there are more apparently that are just too small). Usually they feel like a large truck going by and are over as soon as they begin, but a couple more severe ones have been a bit scary--I remember once waking up to my whole bedroom (which is on the upstairs of an old house) was waving back and forthfor a good minute, like in a cartoon, books falling, etc--my cat came rushing up and jumped on me in bed lol.

It's funny though, the month we moved from my original city of Edmonton, when I was 8, was when they haad their famous (well to Edmontonian's) killer Tornado--hailstones that dented our car room and house tiles, etc-

I just find it hysterical that he was filming himself lifting weights in the first place :lol:

Archived