Eric Roberts Joins Y&R

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL! Word.

I guess he deserves credit for basically admitting he did it for the money though, even if it made him sound as if he was lowering himself somehow to do guest work on a soap.

He spent like a year on AW in the 70's and was recast, so his history in daytime doesn't mean much to me. If he respected it all these years, why wait until now to do guest work in the medium and then cry needing to pay the bills for justify doing it? It's hardly comparable to people like Meg Ryan, who was a major soap opera star during her time on ATWT and now barely acknowledging it as apart of her history.

I can see how it would be a perceived as a slap on the face to soap fans and the genre as a whole when some actor has to justify their reasons for appearing on a soap. They never do it for primetime or film.

• Members

Yeah I didnt get that from the quote. People often work on different projects at one time, maybe inbetween jobs he has time to do Y&R :mellow: Y would he turn down a paying job, especially if it doesnt interfere with other projects :wacko::unsure:

• Members

Right, as I've said in this thread, I really like Eric Roberts, I am a fan. And I'm sure he's proud of his soap past. I'm not trying to come down on him because the soap stigma is just as much an industry problem as it is for any particular actor. But the soap stigma is undeniably at play here, and most actors, especially those hovering around C-list, are very wary about how career decisions will be perceived by the industry at large. Maybe he feels the need to break it down and just put it out there before the close-minded movers and shakers look down on him for doing a soap. I think most folks behind the scenes in Hollywood know the deal, they know that actors need to take the work that they can get. But, and as messed up as it sounds, I'm sure there are plenty of snobby folks behind the scenes who are taking notice of the actors who need to work and are "lowering themselves" accepting these jobs opposed to those who can afford to sit it out and be comfortably unemployed until the storm passes over. LaLaWood is a sick judgmental place, I don't like that actors have to say things like this, yet I can't pretend that I don't understand why they do. But it's insulting to act like you're slumming it to do a soap in an interview just to pay your bills then going to work with people who have bought homes and put kids through college and delivered some dynamite acting along the way, whose lives as they know it have been made possible, all thanks to daytime.

• Members

The point wasn't him turning down a paying job, but he essentially admitted that he needed the money in that quote and then used that as a justification for appearing on a soap. One of the points that was made in this thread was about actors being accustomed to a particular lifestyle and no longer having the funds to support it in this economy, hence why doing daytime has suddenly become an attractive option.

• Members

I think some are just looking for any reason they can to bash him because he's gonna be on the craptastic Y&R ;)

Toups will you quit making sense :P

I mean some were in this thread ready to say he needed the money for a drug habit or something. Heaven forbid someone come to soaps cause they might need extra money in between projects LOL

• Members

Judging by his quote, Roberts made it sound as if his bills being paid and his responsibilities being taken care of depended on this Y&R stint.

We work because we need money, that's a given, but wasn't the point. Earlier in the thread, people were questioning why he's doing Y&R and why now has he decided to do a guest spot on a soap when he's never done them before. We got our answer, it's purely for the money, which he apparently doesn't get enough of if all the projects Sylph cited haven't given him significant funds to support his lifestyle.

We got our answer as to why he's doing Y&R, it's purely financial, which Sylph initially disputed because of all the projects Roberts had lined up, hence why I brought it back up as sort of a joke to throw at Sylph and now it's become a full on discussion. :lol:

• Members

Yeah, exactly. The only thing I can give him credit for is for being a RABIAFAW and not tossing out a "it's a great character" BS line. Let me know when he either feels the need or is asked to explain why he's in a movie called "Sharktopus".

And please, let's not pretend he was looking for work, heard there was a short-term recurring gig on a soap opera and said "Hey...I did a soap for five months over 30 years ago, and it's the same producer! Hey! I think I'll take the job!" Come on, now, let's be real.

• Members

I really feel Star 80 is Bob Fosse's underated masterpiece. But it's the kind of movie that leaves you feeling so filthy you have no real desire to see it again. I don't think there's even a DVD edition that's letterboxed.... But the movie is great cuz of Fosse--and Roberts. I think that movie alone shows him to be a better actor than his sister.

That quote is unfortunate.

Archived