Eric Roberts Joins Y&R

• Members

That's funny because as soon as I watched it I wanted to watch it again the next day. :lol: Wifey thought I wanted to watch it again for prurient reasons and sent it back to Netflix but I was really awed by ER's work, just as I was with he and Rourke in "Pope". But where some might find him annoying and OTT in that movie, here he was just dark, creepy and fascinating, he STILL managed to thread a very thin thread of empathy and desperation. I thought he was great. And yes, it was a very standard dvd. I agree that he could have been a Pacino/Deniro, at very least a Penn, just as Rourke could have too. I've seen this, Cabaret and All That Jazz and I've got to see Fosse's other film Lenny.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think the guy is by any means destitute, I just think he's a little embarrassed about doing a soap. He seems a little concerned about what others will think of that. I don't know if he's aware that Franco's been doing one for shits and giggles, or the fact that most of the "big names" who've done soaps are '80s primetime soap stars, but he's certainly of a generation of actors who saw soaps as either a big no-no or "a great training ground. icon_shrug.gif " To me the issue here is less about money and more about saving face.

• Members

Lenny is--to me overated. Fosse misunderstood the play and it became an ego project. Do watch Sweet Charity though--it's a mess of a film--overlong, overbig, miscast, but the musical moments are magic (It's funny how both Geri Halliwell and Beyonce have ripped off the Rich Man's Frug moment).

• Members

I've never seen it but I of course know the song "Big Spender" and I know that Shirley MacLaine did the movie which must have been a little awkward when his wife was the original. :unsure: I did see a PBS pogram where they showed an old black and white clip of Bob and Gwen discussing his love for antithesis, how he told her to dance it "like a little fat girl" and how she sand "Whatever Lola Wants" like a sweet little angel.

• Members

So how? My words say exactly what they do: how can you be without money if you're being paid for Y&R and that sh*t IMDB lists? You've constructed a whole edifice out of that and it's really simple. No other meaning should be added to that sentence nor should it have 57 different interpretations. tongue.gif

Again: how much is he paid for Y&R? Why would he go to TV Guide (of all other mags and sh*t) to say: I'm broke, I do this sh*t 'cause I can't pay my bills.

• Members

Gwen was apparently a HUGE draw to the "tired business men" who used to frequent Broadway--she had an amazing body, but she was deemed unfilmable. Damn Yankees was her only film role, and WB said after she was flat out ugly. It's funny cuz Chita Rivera has always had the same problem--and she played one of Charity's friends in the movie. It's a horrible double standard--if either ladies were men they woulda been huge movie stars, but Broadway certainly gained from it. (Of course Fosse left Gwen for the more traditionally hot Anne Reinking, but they remained married and got back together).

• Members

That's terrible. Poor Gwen. She was NOT an ugly lady. She had a bigger film career later in age, she was in Cocoon and I know I remember her face popping up in other things.

All That Jazz, Anne's got that great line, "I just wish you weren't so generous with your t_rooster.jpg."

I like it when she and the daughter do the "Everything Old Is New Again" dance in the apartment.

:lol: Aaaahhh! Love that.

Why do I feel like one of the Real Housewives of Atlanta coined that? :P

• Members

And I don't have a problem with it. If Y&R came to him and asked him ( I didnt see if he approached Y&R)to do a short term role, and he said "how much" and they offered him the money he wanted, and it didnt interfere with his other projects, what de problem is :lol::lol:

Archived