June 7-11, 2010

Toups

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ABC sure is stuck in a rut, with the potential of sinking even farther. I'll wait for the full ratings to pass judgement, but it seems no matter what they do, too many viewers have left and are never coming back.

• Members

Stable week for soaps, Good week for CBS.

1.8 really isnt terrible for OLTL. It aint good but its on a big budget. Mostly teens. Also not promoted as much.

1.8 for GH is bad. Having Sonny and Jason on everyday aint cheap. Frons seriously has to go. Hes destroyed all of those soaps. Let me say Im gonna be hysterical if Vanessa Marcil does nothing for GH ratings but Im sure there will be a bump.

• Members

B&B can barely get an increase even when they become so desperate for attention that they have Brooke unknowingly screwing her daughter's boyfriend. Y&R was also the huge stunt week with Adam's return and they're still below where they were a few weeks ago.

I think the soaps might have hit some kind of ceiling and may not have anywhere to go but down, unless things improve when the weather gets cooler.

It's interesting how GH managed to chase away viewers thanks to endless Jason prison stud/Liz throws her money down the toilet/Luke "comedy" routine/Kristina yet again behaving as a sociopathic plot device.

Considering the constant teen stuff I wonder where OLTL will go. Even if the young demo goes up the overall rating can't be that thrilled with endless melted Ken dolls.

• Members

It is crazy to think that, once upon a time, a 3.5 was really bad and enough to get AW axed. The networks must have been making so much money!

OLTL seems to have carved out a niche for itself and is running even with the pack. This, or all the other shows have dropped to OLTL ratings. GH should be doing so much better considering it gets so much money and promo. ATWT is doing GREAT for a cancelled show only coming in .1 lower than the ABC pack. It is loosing quite a lot from the Bell show lead; however, they are such different shows and the writing is so poor. I'm starting to think ABC is going to ax one show within one year and my quess is AMC> OLTL is just doing too well in demos and has a tiny budget.

As for B&B, Brad Bell needs to do something fast. Y&R has remained stable but Bold keeps loosing viewers. Pretty soon the show will fall to a 2.0

• Members

CarlD2 as for GH its not just Elizabeth throwing away her money which is totally out of character it is the overall character assasination that began last year its been non stop of "Elizabeth can't do anything right" I know most of her fanbase that belong to our network like myself have tuned completely out. Fall from grace I can deal with but this is something like I haven't seen since AJ was thoroughly destroyed. She isn't on that much and when she is she is Luckying it in dialog,

Lucky's name is constant Poor Elizabeth got thrown under for the love JJ's Lucky and hasn't caught a break she's become a plot point for Lucky Spencer

...I too am interested to see how Vanessa's return will affec GH...and I agree that Frons has thoroughly destroy not one but three soaps as a viewer I have don't waste anymore time wth him..I still record them but rarely watch I'm just not interested.

I was shocked about the Brooke / Olivier thing they did the same ole story with a new twist, she bangs her daughters' boyfriend but didn't know she did it because they were dressed alike and the necklace and all that.. :lol:

LoveDays I totally agree its a reason why young people watch vintage soap operas I can't say for certain if the viewership is large and all that #s jazz

but they do watch them....

• Members

Here's my thing...even though these are dream ratings, I'm will be optimistic and say that this could happen, if networks would let writers write, stop trying to cater to just one DEMO, go back to writing compelling storylines filled with GRAND ROMNACES, FAMILIES, LOVE, ADVENTURE, MYSTERY, MANIPULATION, DECEIT, and STOP WRITING FOOLISHNESS THAT IS SUSPENDED WAY BEYOND BELIEF. NETWORKS NEED TO ADVERTISE MORE AND BETTER! REVISIT THE OLD STYLE AND WAY OF ADVERTISING SOAPS! Truthfully I watch the old advertisements/promos of soaps and HELL I'm still drawn into them even though those storylines are way gone and over. SOAPS can have that magic again, but you have to return to the formula that worked. Slow building storylines with realistic twists and turns work and pull in viewers. Catering to all DEMOGRAPHICS bring in ratings, INTERMINGLING OF ALL CHARACTERS YOUNG AND OLD work, MAKING TEENAGE CHARACTERS SUPPORTING CHARACTERS TO THE ADULTS STORYLINE instead of them having THEIR OWN storyline WORKS! You care about them and invest in them more because they have proper development. THE TRUE SOAP FORMULA WORKS, the DOUGLAS MARLAND, WILLIAM BELL, IRNA PHILIPS, AGNES NIXON, PAT FAULKEN SMITH, GLORIA MONTY, EDWARD TRACH, and many other old headwriters and executive producers way worked and can again. So I will continue to dream right along with you with these ratings because I believe that this can happen again, it takes time and patience and solid storytelling without all the stunt work!

• Members

As much as I am the eternal optimist, those rating will never happen again. People don't seem to realize it's not at all about the writing and network interference, etc. There are just way too many options on TV and the internet and they are all trying to get a share of the same pic. It's not like back in the day when here in NYC all we had was the Big 3, PBS and a few independent station or my cousins in Aiken, SC who could only get the 3 stations WITH an antenna.

Archived