Y&R Discussion for week of May 3

• Members

I think for Y&R to possibly prosper, Maria Arena Bell has to step down and admit to herself (publicly would be nice, but her ego won't allow that) that she was way over her head and she's an amateur with little training to be running the #1 soap.

She can then proceed to seek out someone with a better reputation, or just get Alden or Smith back, to write the show to its ultimate grave...

The cast has to be cut, the writing staff has to be slashed, and a better/more cohesive writing team needs to be hired.

But again, none of this is realistic. I, too, wouldn't mind the show not living past 2011 at this point...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The way I see it, where there is life there is hope. Maybe the odds are bad, but there is a chance. Once a show is dead, it's dead for good, so I will never wish cancellation on Y&R. Even if MAB stays and gets a different team things might improve enough to make watching worthwhile.

The thing that has me worried is the cast changes and additions. One of the advantage Y&R has always had is a relatively stable cast, but they are losing sight of the importance of familiar faces and I think that could be disastrous and tank this show faster than any Campy story.

• Members

Probably something they pulled out of their ass when the Sheila plans fell through. This story has been stalled so many times, they probably originally planned to have Sheila show up months ago.

• Members

But after seeing Maria's solo work, well, it wasn't anything to brag about either. Her weak leadership skills is a huge part of what's wrong with Y&R, Scott Hamner and his atrocious storyline tendencies too.

If Maria must stay, she needs to be a "silent partner" to someone with a much more cohesive vision.

Archived