Roseanne

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Poor DJ, the butt of so many jokes (and half the time he wasn't even in the room when the joke was said!).

I loved Lecy's version of Becky. That was the REAL Becky. Sarah was simply a recast that eventually was given very little to do. She grew to be a fine comedic actress, but during her Roseanne years, she was ditzy and shallow, no matter how hard she fought with Roseanne, Mark, etc. she just came across as dumb and empty-headed.

• Members

It seemed like at the start of the show, they were trying to tell us that Becky and Roseanne were more similar in nature, and that Darlene took after Dan.

In the end, it seemed like Becky followed down Jackie's footsteps - someone who had a lot of potential, but was never able to make her life "work" while Darlene essentially became a younger version of Roseanne - a total smart ass who loved controlling those around her. Darlene was also the "writer" something Roseanne always wanted to be and even went to college, another dream that Roseanne had for herself that was abandoned.

Becky and Roseanne's arguments always felt very petulant. I think Roseanne's arguments with Darlene always had more meat to them, they were like equals (and a lot of the time, Darlene had a point and was in the right - like in season 5 when Becky left and Roseanne tried to get Darlene to go to the doctor for birth control, when Darlene had already decided she wasn't ready for sex just yet).

• Members

I agree, and it's interesting how they switched it up like that. I'm wondering if it was because of backstage changes and actresses coming 'n going that they felt they had to change course. In any event, it reminds me of the one episode when Becky tries to get a motorcycle, leading to a family fight about sexism and women's lib.

Roseanne: "Darlene is the jock, and Becky is the brain."

DJ: "What am I?"

Roseanne: "We don't know yet."

LOL

• Members

I actually think Lecy is VERY underrated as Becky. Two of her best moments were the speeches she gave to Darlene (over her doing nothing during her "black" mood while Becky did everything during Season 4), and when she told Dan off before running off with Mark in Season 5. Lecy OWNED those scenes.

I love Darlene too, but I think Lecy was just as good as Sara.

One thing that bothers me about Sarah Chalke as Becky was how the writers seemed to peg her as the Dumb Becky. That just seems so unfair to Sarah. I do like that Lecy's Becky was always portrayed as smart, though.

Fun fact: Apparently SC was called Second Becky BTS by everyone on Scrubs.

• Members

Darlene was the only character on the show that went through so many incarnations, imho. She started out as a smart aleck town-boy, morphed into a more trendy teen in season 3, went through her dark stage in season 4, and finally into a sardonic Roseanne clone from season 5 till the end of the show.

Even though Becky was book-smart, Darlene always seemed to possess more common sense. The show even had Darlene state this to Roseanne in season 3 where she explained how if both her and Becky were dropped in a forest that she would find her way home, but poor Becky would just be lost and eventually die in the forest.

When Becky married Mark, it was mostly an impulsive act that she came to regret in some ways (several instances in season 6, 7, and 8), while Darlene married David because she loved him.. but also due to the many financial benefits of being married (lower insurance for both of them, married housing at her school, etc).

• Members

Season 6 had some great one-liners, I was just re-watching the episode where Jackie gives birth. This was probably the last time we saw Jackie in a digestible light,

DJ (to Roseanne): Did your water break when you had me?

Roseanne: By the time I had you, everything was already broken

Nurse: I'm afraid we've met our quota on public aid cases for the year, but I can arrange for you to be transferred to the County Hospital.

Jackie: NO WAY I CAN'T HAVE MY BABY AT COUNTY!

Roseanne (to Nurse): County is dangerous, we wouldn't even visit our own mother when we put her in there!

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Archived