Roseanne

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still LOL at that line. Roseanne had great delivery.

Agreed about Jackie. After she had the baby, it was straight up Barney Fife (save for the last couple episodes of season 6 when Jackie reveals that she slept with twenty times the amount of people Fred had! "I don't even know 60 people!" "Well I didn't KNOW all of them..." LOL)

• Members

The writing on the show was very underrated at the time, mainly due to how popular the show was and what a controversial public figure many saw Roseanne Barr as.

Many writers, who later went on to success of their own, got their start on this show. Chuck Lorre, Joss Whedon, and Amy Sherman-Palldino to name a few.

This show has some of the best comedic dialogue/one-liners of any show, and there's really a timeless quality to it where it never sounds dated.

• Members

I agree. The show holds up INCREDIBLY well. I love that it marathons on Monday on WEtv and then on Saturday and Sunday on TV Land (and I've noticed Saturday on WEtv) and I can honestly watch every episode no matter how many times I've seen it. It's always funny and fresh. Only a few shows I can say that about (Golden Girls and I Love Lucy being two others).

• Members

LOL. Jackie was such a joke towards the end but Laurie was just so talented. It's so weird watching Jackie's progression, which felt like regression, ultimately.

That scene is just another classic Jackie scene. Because I had just seen the show last night on WEtv, before I turned to Dallas, I was thinking of all of Jackie's just great moments. "DEAD!!!! HE'S DEAD!!! DAD'S DEAD!!!! Dad's fine. He sends his love" "I met a guy I don't even know, we had sex for hours and now I'm pregnant. If it's a girl, I'm naming it Gidget!"

I'm paraphrasing, mostly, but she had such great moments sometimes.

• Members

Season 5 had so many great moments, I really think that was the pinnacle of the show in terms of writing and acting.The humour/one-liners got a little more "adult" in that season too.

I also don't think it's any coincidence that my favourite season was the season where Becky left. I thought that allowed them to flesh out Darlene's character a little bit more, and she really became Dan and Roseanne's main (and probably favorite) kid until the end of the show.

• Members

I always felt like the transition from season 4 to season 5 was quite different. Still great quality from season to season (unlike the decline in season 7), but something about the show was different. I think you hit it on the mark by saying it got a little bit more "adult". Not only were the kids growing, but the topics got more serious, and the overall innocence of the early years had faded. Also, I think the lighting changed (darker), plus other aesthetic changes like Roseanne's hair grown out, her skin looking a little rougher, she finally settled in to her final job that we saw her at (owning the diner), all made for a different feeling for the show when Season 5 started.

Archived