Roseanne

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jackie: CAN YOU BELIEVE MOM DRANK WHILE SHE WAS PREGNANT WITH US, ROSEANNE!?!?!

Roseanne: Oh, relax Jackie, after a few months in mom, we could've used a few shots!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love how Bev annoyed the hell out of her daughters....

I don't think they ever quite knew what to do with Crystal. After the first season, she just appeared in less and less episodes until she was dropped from the contract cast in season 5. I guess they felt Jackie was both Roseanne's best friend and sister, and Jackie was really Roseanne's rock, more so than Dan even, so Crystal was kinda expendable.

• Members

I think it was a mistake, as Jackie was too cold and selfish to be a good balance for Roseanne.

Yeah. I didn't know he was Irish when he was on Roseanne, but after Angel I did. He was so good on that show, it's so sad that he died so young.

• Members

Was there an episode where Roseanne started talking about how her father had beaten her and Jackie? Was it Roseanne who talked about this and Jackie didn't want to admit it or was it the other way around? Didn't they confront Bev and she didn't want to hear a word? I remember a very moving scene where they went back to their old childhood home and Roseanne stood in the door and very, very quickly, painfully, said something like, "Even after what you did to me I still love you."

• Members

"And thanks for your sense of humor." Or was that at his funeral?

Yeah, the ep I mentioned earlier where she spanked an unlicensed D.J. for taking the car for a spin... she had a serious guilt trip because her dad used to hit her and Jackie and she vowed that she'd never do that to her own kids. Dan tells her it's okay because D.J. deserved it and Jackie's like, No, it's not okay!, because he has no clue about what it was like for them growing up.

• Members

There were always hints that Roseanne had a deeply troubled relationship with her father from the beginning, Jackie too, but she was more in denial about the abuse they received when they were children from him. It was Jackie who couldn't admit it all to herself.

That episode when she and Jackie visited their childhood home was where we learned about the root of Roseanne's problems with her father.

Then in season 5, Roseanne's father died and all of it came back to the forefront. There's a particularly moving scene with Roseanne at the funeral home where she had to identity her father at the end of the episode. She told him she hated him for beating her and Jackie, hated him for leaving them with an unstable mother all the time, and hated him for being the reason why she and Jackie had issues with men and why she couldn't even trust Dan for the first couple of years of their marriage.

In that same episode, Roseanne and Jackie argue over him, and clearly Jackie was in denial about their abuse. There's a point where Jackie brought up how just because Roseanne hated their father, everyone else had to and that she loved him, and Roseanne replied, "When did you love him the most?? When he came home and beat you, or when he didn't come home at all?!?"

I believe that funeral episode earned both Roseanne and Laurie Metcalfe Emmy's that season. Though, Roseanne opted to not attend the ceremony. Actually, I've always heard that Roseanne was the most controversial Emmy winner, since she was perceived as being so un-Hollywood and so anti-establishment. She wasn't an actress, but a stand-up comedienne who got her own show and got a lot of power because of it. People in the industry resented her for it. At the time, not since Lucille Ball and Mary Tyler Moore had a woman had that much creative power over her television show. Unlike Ball and Moore, Roseanne didn't have the squeaky clean image, didn't own her own production company, and she wasn't "Hollywood."

• Members

Yes, Roseanne really grew as an actress over time, she really deserved that Emmy for season 5.

The show was groundbreaking for several reasons. It really flipped the script on the traditional American sitcom family, it was the first show where you actually got the sense it was the women running the household, not the man, and you just didn't see people who looked like Roseanne, John Goodman, and Laurie Metcalfe fronting a show before, or really after it, and not all the problems were resolved within 30 minutes.

Not to mention, as I mentioned before, Roseanne was the first woman since Lucille Ball and Mary Tyler Moore to have that much creative power over her sitcom. Unlike Ball and Moore, she wasn't from "Hollywood", never had the most marketable public image, and didn't own her own production company. I also believe she was the first women to make over a million dollars per episode for a sitcom.

• Members

You can see the scenes with Roseanne by her father's coffin 7:20 into this clip:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLpWEmBI5Ok&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLpWEmBI5Ok&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLpWEmBI5Ok&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

I guess Roseanne's acting was effective because I never felt that she was acting, it always seemed to come from her heart and I just absolutely love her sadistic/sarcastic/ no holds bar sense of humor but boy John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf and (I forgot the young actress who plays Darlene's name) were gems on that show, they really were great choices for their roles. Alll terrific actors

• Members

I actually liked her "acting" best in the beginning before she got too "learned" if you know what I mean. She was still great towards the end, just a different kind of great. But I remember watching an interview where John and Laurie, the trained theatre actors, were praising her, saying how they looked at her truth and effortlessness with such awe. She was a rare exception, too many folks these days (all the young pretty one who end up on our soaps) think they're "naturals" and don't need training. But for instance, when she would "break" character by any other sitcom actor's standards and laugh at something funny Dan was doing it was SO sweet and endearing because it was just so real. She wasn't "playing" a character, she was really relating to this big, funny, lug of a guy. Just talking about it makes me wanna rainy day marathon that first season.

Another memorable sweet moment was when Darlene did her poem "To Whom It May Concern" :blush:

• 2 years later...

Archived