AMC: Wednesday: 3.3.2010

• Members

I had forgotten some of that hair. That next to last picture looks like Opal :o

I actually liked the short hair she had when she married Tad in 1994. I think it suited her, it was short, but not too severe, or an ugly color, like what she had in 95-96.

cheap21 I love that you said "Her hair only looked good in the 80s." Wasn't she only on the show in the 80s for like one year?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the worst thing we can say about an episode is that Cady's hair looked whacked (how many countless other AMC episodes have people said THAT about?), I think we have a pretty good show going. ;)

Maybe Cady's hair was the second worst thing. They were using the steady cams in these scenes, but the camera operators SO could NOT keep the cameras steady - which is so much more dizzying to watch in HD! JHC, please don't put your viewers through this. It doesn't add drama or tension, it adds nausea.

By the way, I don't think anyone's being hysterical when discussing a production issue.

• Members

Haha oh boy --- that is a bad 'do for Cady. I remember reading Cady's blog years ago and she mentioned that she felt empowered to be able to change her hairstyle whenever she wanted - and that with each new chapter in her personal life, there comes a new hairdo. It gives her strength (or some BS like that).

Anyway - glad she's back - Dixie is my girl! Can't wait to watch later tonight.

Btw, I thought some of her best hair styles were from her last few stints on AMC (first ghost scene waving to Kathy; ghost scene during Angie/Jesse's wedding; even during the 98-99 era when she came back after the Holidays explosion).

• Members

I was just going to mention her blog, that you just know she'll take to it when she hears all this scuttle about her hair... how we're totally missing the point and losing sight of a story that's actually powerful and touching in this current climate of daytime over something so trivial as hair.

• Members

Exactly! When the episode itself is as great as it was today, the only thing to complain about is the hair and that damn shaky cam.

As for what happened, I loved Annie's reaction to Brooke actually helping JR by making a website when Annie can really save him and just couldn't figure out why she should. Asking Angie point blank really showed just how lost she still is. The Liza/Tad scenes were really good even if they did just highlight the upcoming triangle with Krystal and the camera couldn't stay still. I also really enjoyed the Damon/Opal, Annie/JR, Ryan/Greenlee (don't shoot me, I'm finding them watchable together these days)and Ryan/David scenes.

And imo she would be justified considering how fantastic the show has been lately. I'm not saying we can't comment on her hair at all, but that seemed to have become the focal point of this thread. As the pictures posted above demonstrate, it's not like Cady ever made good hair choices in the past anyway!

• Members

That sounds like an invitation! :)

I accept.

Brooke's return is boring. She's doing exactly what she was doing before she vaporized in the cemetery three years ago. Hand holding while everyone else has the drama. Oh, wait! She made a bone marrow website! Never mind!

Adam's invisible love child he allowed to keep hidden for decades is out of character and insulting.

There are only two main stories going on right now and they're moving at a snail's pace... and that's sad since we've just come off of an equally paced sweeps.

The Tad and Liza history lesson was heavy handed and rang extremely false with Turbo.

Damon's not interesting.

Frankie, the aspiring surgeon recovering from war injuries to his hands, continuously bashing his hand against large, inanimate objects is ridiculous! Why not do a story about a make up model who continuously rams her face into a door every time she gets frustrated?

Yes... there's more than just Cady's hideous hair that's left to be desired. Yes, I understand that it's the train of thought around these parts to praise all the "good" and ignore the glaringly negative aspects of the "storytelling" during this transition because, somehow, some way, it's supposed to make the soap gods see that Lorraine Broderick is a miracle worker and hopefully get her to, not only stay on the writing team, but also somehow manage to get a choke hold and on Swajeski and Kreizman and "keep them in check." I understand that. But it will take a lot more than "mentions of history" to get me on board this train. I would like to see actual STORIES being told... However, we won't get to see that because the new head writers are already in place, and over the next few weeks, things will be leading up to tell their tales. Not Lorraine's... even though she's not the head writer, anyway.

Well, since you're indirectly referring to a comment I made to someone else, I'll directly say to you that those were hand held cameras, not stedicams. Also, that was clearly a director's choice in blocking and taping the scenes in that specific location -- the hospital corridor -- because there were no use of hand held cameras in any other location... on the hospital set or any of the other scenes... which is why I said calm down to that particular poster, because there's no need to worry that steadicam and/or hand held cameras are taking over the show in another "experiment." No one said anybody was hysterical. From a technical standpoint, you can get a camera operator and a hand held in spots better than you can fit an operator and a pedestal camera. That's all. :)

And that hair is GROSS!

Just had to reiterate.

• Members

This one will always be my favorite because Erica once referred to how Dixie was guarding David's office as it being like she was "a poodle on steroids". :lol: Every time I saw her with that hair after that, I realized how true it was and couldn;t keep from cracking up. LMAO

• Members

Well, at least I know you'll respond to me on here, though not on a PM - you know, like the PM where I politely, apologetically asked you why you were suddenly making snide comments toward my posts (wondering if I actually did something to offend you and hadn't realized it)? To which you ignored. You had no problem responding here...

I'm going to take a wild guess that my enjoying the show (maybe anyone enjoying the show, but for some reason, specifically me) is irritating you. Hindsight, your comments didn't start until I was openly enjoying AMC again - so it makes sense. Prior to that, I never had any negative interaction with you. In any case... Just because you may not agree with something, or even if you don't enjoy something others do, doesn't mean people are stupid or blind or that they lamely pray to "soap gods."

I'm sorry if my praise for a show or a writer doesn't gel with you. I can't change my opinion; I like what I like. But you shouldn't condescend to me or anyone over it, especially openly like that. Your comments about soap gods and miracle workers make people who disagree with you sound naive or starry-eyed. I wouldn't assume those people are, and I can assure that with me, that's definitely not the case.

If it were really about just me, personally, I wouldn't respond here. But what you're saying sort of rolls in a number of people here, visitors and posters alike, who may share feelings about the show that are similar to my own. I think the subject deserved an open defense.

I was. I was pre-emptively saying it because I, myself, had just commented on the same issue. You told someone to "calm down" because they commented on the camera work. Who would want to be characterized as the opposite of calm? I figured I'd batten down the hatch ahead of time.

Steadicams are actually the rolling mount, so you're right, I mis-used the terminology of "steadicam"... Sorry for that. What I was trying to say (along with others) was that the hand-held use of the camera was bothersome visually. I don't know if it shows up as intensely on other TV's, but on a 50-inch or 42-inch wide-screen, it's not a good thing.

Archived