All Alone-characters without families

• Members

The failed family thread showed how soaps often introduced relatives around characters to keep the canvas tied together.

The flipside of this are those characters who were on for quite some time,yet never got a relative.Or,if they did it was quite brief and said sibling/parentnever returned.

Who are some characters you can name that never got to be part of a family?

Two from Y&R

Ryan McNeil.I recall some early mention of a father with a drinking problem,but after that Ryan's family was never mentioned.At his marriages,no parents or siblings ever showed up.

Phyllis.Her parents appeared briefly,but are never mentioned.I think there is a lot of potential there,if say,her widowed mother turned up.

AMC

Greg Nelson.His mother was recurring and a sister was mentioned,but never materialized.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can we count Brad from Y&R, since his mother only showed up briefly in his 22 year run on the show?

Taylor Hayes B&B - The closest we ever got to her family was her slightly creepy ex-husband Blake.

OLTL Marco Dane - I don't think we can count Mario Corelli since he only existed briefly so Marco could pretend to be him.

GL Wanda the Lewis Oil secretary - 20 years and the most we got was a mention of a boyfriend

GL Fletcher Reade

GL Jeffrey O'Neil

ATWT Kirk Anderson

DAYS Carly Manning

• Members

Greg Nelson's mother was a strong presence on the show and while perhaps a recurring role, she was on as much as some contract roles. She was on as much as Marian anyway.

I guess Myrtle is a classic example of a character who never got a family. Well ok, she was an honorary member of families, but it wasn't til Rae Cummings and Skye that she got a blood family.

• Members

Ugh, don't remind us. Of all the shoehorned, retconned insta-families....

Off the top of my head, I'll add Alfred Vanderpoole (also from AMC) to the list of characters without families. I don't recall whether poor Alfred ever mentioned any family on the show, though I'm sure he did. Nevertheless, I've always pictured the Vanderpooles being this hard-core old-money family in P.V., consisting of Alfred, an older brother who's a clinically depressed alcoholic, and a sister who's just a domineering bitch to her younger siblings. If Alfred ever had any girlfriends (which I seriously doubt), they'd probably find the older brother sad, and the sister impossible.

• Members

Yeah Enid Nelson also was on a LOT under Broderick in '96-97 (and I think in '99 when Agnes penned the storyline about Marian wanting to get into society and embarassed by Opal). As a teen I knew who she was before I realized she once had a son on the show. I miss her and characters like her--the snobby Pine Valley

• Members

Well some of these characters had other relatives pop up or got related to someone. Taylor's dad Jack Hamilton got caught up in a triangle with Sally and Stephanie. Fletcher's sister Meredith infamously popped up, Kirk was somehow related to Iva, and Carly is Frankie's bio sister.

Others include:

Abby and Annie on GL

Carole, Lynne, John Silva, and JT on Y&R

Calliope on Days

Mia currently on Days

• Members

You're right, I forgot about some of that -- my memory is going. I guess I remember them mostly for being alone.

I don't think we ever saw Kirk's family though, beyond his children. I think Kirk's ex-wife was related to Iva, she was a cousin. Kirk was involved with Iva when Iva found out.

There's also Chad on DAYS, he does have parents but they have only made blink of an eye appearances.

• Members

OK fair call on the kids!

I think Abby on GL had a mother.I can't recall the name of the actress but she was well known.

On Y&R JT's parents have been mentioned,but have they ever been seen?

Steve Hardy on GH never had any siblings,although I think it was established he was an orphan.

Maggie on Days has no relatives.

Mike Karr on Edge of Night was on the show from beginning to end with no parents or siblings.

Archived