Article: Top Five Placebos in Daytime

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great article, thanks for posting it.

I agree that number 5 is so similar to Sheffer's first stint on ATWT. And let's not forget that around the same time there was also a similar story with Bryant, Allison and Lucy thrown into the mix.

Number 1 is really what killed GL and what could have saved GL and I feel it's the same thing that is happening to ABC and has been happening to ABC since the Disney invasion.

• Members

Jared Hall was Ed Hall's grandson. He was the DA? He had a brief flirtation with Rachel during one of Ellen Bethea's short returns, while Rachel was helping Nora with her memory loss.

#5 is so eerie. And it was an awful stench not just at Sheffer's ATWT, but at DAYS. Remember Jeremy Horton, who tried to force himself on Chelsea, tried to drown Stephanie, treated women like garbage, yet apparently we were supposed to care because they claimed he was Mike and Robin's son?

• Members

Jared was an ADA with a checkered past involving, I believe, drugs which threatened his legal career. He was originally going to have some other secret which Tea knew about and was going to power her exit - she had a number of scenes clashing with him - but then RH returned.

• Members

I think Tea knew whatever it was they retconned it into - that he had done drugs or taken bribes or something back in law school. Maybe he cheated on the bar, as well, I can't quite remember, it was all so lame.

I question the wisdom of bringing him back, though. It was a lame character and a terrible actor, plus he was way too old to be Josh's kid.

• Members

I think they could have recast. He could have had some drama with Tea and with Rachel, and tested their friendship. Eli is fairly pointless and having him as Ross's brother gutted the character as soon as he threw Ross to the wolves for Tea and her honor.

• Members

It's true, and the more I read soap articles and books from the 70s, even at the Golden era of soaps many MANY of these problems still existed. I think the difference was (maybe cuz there were mor esoaps in general, a bit less interference, etc) there were enough really well done solid (or outright great) soap runs happening to balance it out. But, for instance, LaGuardia complains about number 5 destroying Secret Storm in its last years (bringing back characters who have name ties to the show but otherwise might as well be new characters).

I think though, that one is one that really bugs me. It's like Culliton's time at AMC many praised him for bringing back characters like Frankie and Tim Dhillon (for all of 5 seconds), but what's the point if you don't bring them back with characters we actuallky recognize--bring back their parents, etc--THEN the audience stands more of a chance of warming up to them.

• Members

This is a really good article. Did I miss the title/author? I read it three times and I don't see it.

# 1 is especially right on, and even more astute an observation ten years ago, before we had seen so many head writers knocked off of their pedestals after being brought back to "save" a show with much fanfare. It doesn't matter whose name is in the credits if they don't have the creative control to tell stories they feel passionately about. (And tell them to completion, so that viewers don't feel they've wasted months watching a story with dozens of loose ends and petered out before it reached the climax it appeared to be building toward, just because some focus group that didn't make any such investment saw a snippet out of context and hated the story)

Archived