Worst rewrite/changing of history

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that they THOUGHT they killed Annabelle, but actually it was her abusive husband, who then showed up to kill them years later. I've never seen most of this story. I do remember some fans who told me they were upset because the story brought Bill Bauer back for a whole day, had him fall off the wagon again, then had him shoved out a window.

• Members

They thought they killed Annabelle's mother, but it was her husband Eli Simms that did the dead ("WHORE")

For some reason that rewritten history wasnt that bad as it did correspond to how Long/Culliton already rewrote history..that the Spauldings always lived in Springfield, that H.B. made visits there..and it *could* have happened offscreen at the time. The MA Caruthers story could NOT have happened at all as we saw the intros of the Lewises and the characters disparity in ages didnt add up. Add to that that Buzz, somehow went awol and hung around SF without his family knowing it,and he somehow ended up hanging out with rich Alan, and Billy and Josh and upper middle class Ed. Plus, the actress already played an iconic role on GL, that of Ms. Susan "PiPaaarrr," as she would growl.

And yes, Bill was killed off in one day, he saw Annabelle, hit the bottle and was pushed out by Eli Simms..which could have been a good intro to the story if they had him come around his family for a couple of weeks before the push.

Couple other rewritten history things during the last years of GL..the worst was the deaging of Daisy so they could keep BE and Harley "young," and the abrupt aging of Leah. Both of those threw off the timelines of the rest of the stories, most notably that Rick and Mel were married for almost 20 years, and that Rick cheated on her with Harley..(who still had a younger Jude.) It made no sense, Daisy was a wasted character played by a crummy actress and GL needed an early 20 something heroine (she definatley could have replaced simpering Marina,who suddenly was older then Daisy.)

• Members

Roman hasn't been written for well since that story when Roman reunited with Marlena on the docks. Oh wait that wasn't Roman was it? Looking back at Northrop's 1991-1994 run he was written as being an insufferable, insolent jerk who had little chemistry with Hall and cared little for Marlena's feelings, abandoning her for months to go undercover. I'm not sure what the point of Josh Taylor's Roman is, except I wonder why they didn't find a more suitable recast.

As far as Alex North goes, I feel like that was someone's fanfic or wet dream gone horribly awry.

• Members

I loved Roman during WN's first run and the story when Drake took the role over, but to this day, I have no explanation as to why Days brought WN back and then said that the man everyone knew as Roman was an imposter......

FOR 6 YEARS!!

• Members

Actually it kind of was, because Pratt rewrote what we SAW onscreen. Zach was too busy dealing with a premature Ian being in the hospital, we're suddenly supposed to believe he took time out from his son being at death's door to donate sperm to his lesbian sister-in-law? Don't think so

We SAW Zach onscreen during that time. He NEVER once left town. NEVER

Also Pratt rewriting what B&E wrote for Jesse about his 20 years away. B&E wrote that he went a bit crazy and was institutionalized(or something like that) for years, yet Pratt rewrote that to say that Jesse left Angie, met Rebecca and knocked her up barely before Angie had time to grieve him :rolleyes:

• Members

My best guess? If DAYS was failing in the ratings (and I think it was), then Ken Corday probably believed that bringing back WN's Roman and re-pairing him with Deidre Hall's Marlena would provide the solution. However, Drake Hogestyn was simply too popular as then-Roman; letting him go and replacing him with his predecessor would've alienated much of the audience. The "Two Romans" storyline, therefore, was a sort of compromise. If you loved the original Roman/Marlena romance, then you were excited to see Wayne and Deidre back together again; and if you were a fan of Drake's, then you still had "your man" on the show, too, just not as the character you'd been accustomed to. Plus, don't forget, his Roman (that is to say, Drake's Roman) was still involved with Isabella. Together, they were a popular duo in their own right. So, "win" for everybody.

Except...

The minute Staci Greason left the show (as Isabella), Wayne's Roman and Marlena's fate on the show as a duo was pretty much sealed. Drake's Roman and Marlena, after all, had built up a following of their own before Deidre elected to leave DAYS. With Isabella dead, and Diana Colville a distant memory, Drake's fans clamoured (sp?) for him and Marlena to reunite. And it's long been my contention, too, that Wayne, as well as the character of Roman Brady, was essentially sacrificed in order to pave the way for this. IMO, once RealRoman was stripped of his more dynamic qualities, there was no way in Hell that anyone would want Marlena paired with him. Furthermore, WN's return to the show did not boost the ratings as they thought it would, so TIIC more-or-less had the perfect excuse to marginalize his character before getting rid of him altogether (that is, before Corday brought him back, but with Josh Taylor, someone who hadn't been paired romantically w/ Deidre when he was first on the show, in the role). Never mind that the "Two Romans" story became so damn convoluted that it would've sunk any couple, and not just RealRoman and Marlena.

Not sure if all that answers the question, but....

Archived