Worst rewrite/changing of history

• Members

What do you guys think are some of the most horrible rewrites or changing of history in soaps.

Here are the 3 that immediately come to mind...

AMC: The Unabortion

That was such a disgraceful rewrite of history, and I can not believe that anyone let that hit the screen. Not only were the circumstances around it impossible, but the whole story in itself was just tragic.

GL: Maryanne Caruthers Storyline

I actually loved this storyline, but it twisted history too much. Ed, Rick, and Alan were not even all in the show when the supposed events happened, and Billy and Josh hadn't even hit Springfield yet!

Y&R: Philip III/Cane Baby Switch

This was horrible. I hated everything about it, even after a couple years of accepting it they throw another rewrite in saying that Philip never died. :rolleyes: It should have been revealed that Cane had been on it by himself the entire time, that would have made a hell of a lot more sense. We also wouldn't have to suffer through that poorly executed gay "storyline".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH - Rick Webber is a serial philanderer/out and out creep.

I mean really, the only person he cheated on Lesley with was Monica (well that and an innocent flirtation with Rose Kelly). But according to the rewrite, he'd been stepping out on Lesley with a bunch of nurses and Laura had accidentally killed one of them! Rick had also drugged Laura to make her forget and Scotty Baldwin was a part of this scheme!

I suppose at least we can be grateful didn't get what was originally rumoured, that Rick had been molesting Laura for years!

• Members

OLTL

Victor isn't dead, he's been alive all these years, doing who knows what, and needs his granddaughter's heart. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Tina abandoned her children to run scams with Cain Rogan.

GH

Luke loathed being with Laura, and he preferred to procure whores. He also had a hot time with Holly, while Laura was pregnant with his child, and Laura didn't give a crap.

Y&R

The Abbotts did not raise Billy. Billy was instead abandoned by neglectful Jill, and therefore was bitter and lonely, justifying every pathetic act of behavior on his part.

Ryan's Hope

Bob, who had loved Mary from afar for years, had after a few months fallen in love with Faith, and acted as if he had never loved anyone else. Just to match him, we got heavy implications that Faith had, out of nowhere, also been in love with Frank for most of her life.

AW

Hey, let's pretend Jake never raped Marley. Who cares? If we don't bring it up, then it didn't happen.

ATWT

Did you know that Susan, who had been sober for years before and during her daughter Allison's childhood, was actually a pathetic boozehound who spent poor poor Allison's formative years drowning in a bottle? Neither did I.

Did you know that Lyla Peretti, who loved her kids and always put them first, was actually such an AWFUL mother that she neglected poor poor Katie on endless cruise ship voyages when she was not forcing Katie to be in child beauty pageants?

How about James Stenbeck and his pointless son with Lucinda? Oh wait, that wasn't Lucinda's son after all, never mind. How about his pointless son with Lucy Coe? Or his pointless brother/son/whatever, Mick?

Remember the good old days when Dusty chased Molly around the Snyder pond, even though Molly was actually not around at that time, even in the show's rewritten history? You don't remember John raising Dusty, or Margo being fond of him? Don't worry, the show didn't either.

• Members

All My Children

-Really didn't like when Zach turned turned out to be Gabby's father, due to the rewrite of him visiting Bianca and Reese in Paris (after finding out about Kendall's infidelities with Aiden) and agreeing to Father a baby for Bianca.

General Hospital

-Ethan is Luke's son. That whole storyline was a hot mess, so random and unnecessary to me...and absolutely nothing has happened after, we got no payoff in the end, it just happened and that was it. Now Ethan and Luke barely interact with one another, and Ethan is an outsider on the show.

Days of Our Lives

-(Although I was relieved) No one died after the Salem Stalker murder's...they were all on the island of Melaswen. Though I was SO happy that all of the Vet's were coming back, the way that whole storyline was executed was just so sloppy and bizarre.

• Members

The unabortion that AMC tried to sell as Erica Kane's only son. :ph34r: Biggest piece of trash storyline, ever. I'm actually sorry AMC killed (hopefully for good this time) because I wanted them to have to "try" and deal with him for a long time to come. Ah, I better stop now or I never will. LOL

• Members

Yes. I'm sure I have exaggerated, but at the time I was appalled by some of this. At least Lucinda and Susan got some stories out of the rewrites, but poor Lyla got nothing. She only came back for a few days, over a year later, and she was the same old Lyla. I guess the only reason they did that awful rewrite making her look like a bad mother was to make us feel sorry for Katie. Instead, I hated her character for some time because of that crap.

My reaction to that was similar to the "seeing red" Blair episode on OLTL years ago (only I didn't shoot anyone in the back).

I also had that reaction when GL told us that Ben Reade had been molested at boarding school, and this made him a serial killer. Isn't that a lovely message? How insightful of them! So let's just smear child molestation victims and trash an established character all in one go, and have him commit suicide. Wonderful. This was around the same time they were parading the crazy Lizzie story around as some great mental health focus. That Ben stuff broke me, I mentally checked out of GL for a long, long time after that.

And of course, GH, where we learned Paige Bowen, a kind and loving woman, sold one of her children at birth. What the f*ck was that??!!? And for nothing. For nothing.

• Members

I really wish AMC hadn't killed Josh off. It was a horrible rewrite from the start, but I still liked him. I really liked Josh and Erica's relationship as mother and son, and also his devotion to Kendall. A lot could have been done. Though I would like to see the show bring him back LOL, I don't see how the show could do that now, seeing that his heart was surged out of his body and given to Kendall to save her life.

• Members

I think so, yes. He was Fletcher's son, biologically Maeve Stoddard's and Kyle Sampson's. I always liked his friendship with Michelle and Bill, and then when they brought him back as played by great Matt Bomer, they could have gone anywhere.

They even mentioned him in the last episode, so apparently someone at GL missed him as much as I did :(

I agree. I thought they were throwing the unaborted baby out with the bathwater when they killed him. Add in the awful, awful writing surrounding his death, which just made Zach look like scum, and there was so much to regret.

Archived