Characters who's personalty/screen time changes when re-casted

• Members

Most people on soap boards have noticed that since JJ came back to General Hospital Lucky Spencer has gone from a lunkhead goof who is hated by his father to a person that everyone on the show cares about.(and it seems like he has gotten almost 50 percent more screentime) What are other examples of this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Babe was recasted on All My Children..one minute, original Babe was hugging Krystal, and the next, horrible recast Amanda Baker was pulling out of it. From that point on, for me at least, Babe turned into such a snooze, no chemistry with JR, I just didn't like her and the character became boring. The total opposite of what happened with the recent Lucky recast on GH. JJ brought life back into Lucky, AB brought me extra napping minutes. She was on ALL OF THE TIME. If the show ever decides to resurrect Babe, I hope to god they don't bring back Amanda Snoozebaker! Alexa Havens was the only Babe, IMO ;)

• Members

The role of Dorian on OLTL was beefed back up with Robin Strasser's return, particularly her acrimonious relationship with Viki during the Lord of The Banner and DID storylines. With Elaine Princi in the role, Dorian was an irritation for Viki that would flare up when she wasn't too busy meddling with Cassie, going through emotions with Jason, dealing with Cramer women drama, et cetera. It took a while for the show to put Robin's Dorian truly back on her feet, she had to finish up Elaine's unfinished business with Jason and she got the breast cancer s/l, but when they started playing her against Viki on the front burner, that's when things got REALLY good. Linda Gottlieb was unfamiliar with Robin's work but she really wanted her back to play all of that stuff riding off of her reputation.

• Members

Laurel on AMC went from this mysterious blonde bombshell to a marmish struggling single mother. Physically, a real 180, but just overall I think Laurel's one of the examples that epitomize the phrase "taking the character in a different direction."

We were talking about her in another thread just yesterday, Melinda Cramer has appeared to have had distinct personality changes with each subsequent recast, four Melindas total: Troubled, Bad Girl, Getting It Together, Lunchbox. I believe they were all on contract until the last Melinda, Nicole Orth-Pallavicinni, who was recurring.

• Members

Another one is Belle Black from DAYS.

Kirsten Storms just played her as that "Daddy's Little Girl" type, even while after her character had left high school she still had that teeny-bopper persona. Martha Madison brought alot of maturity and growth to the role IMO, and I don't think the stuff written for Belle from 2005-2007 could have been handled by KS. I guess you could attribute that to the character's growth, but still I feel her personality changed quite a bit from the two women. I won't even comment on Charity Rhamer. :lol:

• Members

I didnt even know there was another Laurel. Another example is Ellen from Port Charles. As played by Debbie Morgan, she was a tough woman who you didnt want to mess with. They recasted her and she became all goody goody and nice. It was like a new character

OLTL's Kelly. When she was first recast with Tracy Melchior, she became a weak, pathetic neurotic mess who walked and talked as if she was 5 seconds away from losing her sanity. NOT at all how she was under Gina Tognoni.

Also on OLTL, was the transition in Kevin from Kevin Stapleton to Timothy Gibbs. KS's Kevin was a comedic character with a great sense of humor and natural chemistry with most characters. He lost most of his charm when TG and the role became much more serious and he became a two timing jerk.

• Members

Yes, Natalie has been getting so much more airtime than Brianne. I like Natalie as Colby, I feel like she's brought the character back to what she was originally supposed to be- a rebellious Chandler Prodigy with a bad attitude! Natalie Hall is so well at playing that, Brianna Moncrief was way to nice and cuddly, made Colby way to soft. She did do well with Pete, though.

• Members

I liked both KS and MM as Belle...but I think I prefer Martha Madison. Your right, she brought a lot of maturity to the role. She quickly made the character her own, and I thought she interacted and jelled more with her mother, Marlena. KS was good when Belle was younger, and in High School. I feel like if she were to return right now, the character wouldn't be as mature as she was when she was last in Salem..

LOL..Charity Rahmer..hot mess!

Shawn Brady, I only liked Jason Cooke in that role. Brandon Beemer was ok, but..

• Members

Cheap, I agree about Kevin on OLTL, he had some real personality switcheroos. If the constant revolving door of actors wasn't enough, they just couldn't seem to decide who this guy was going to be... sensitive, snarky, hot shot, air head, intense... DG is a good Kevin, he encompasses various qualities they've given the character over the years.

Archived