DAYS: Interview with Drake Hogestyn

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never been able to be mad at John or Drake Hogestyn. He may not be Olivier but he's too much fun and I thought he tried very, very had with "RoboJohn," who was great fun to watch. That new iteration of the character could've/should've gone on for years and I'd love to see him return for stints.

• Members

This interview just solidified my enjoyment of DH. Vee's right, he's no brilliant actor, but he has never purported to be one. There's something about him that just worked as John Black -- it's almost a parody of a "soap hunk," but with a core of sweetness to it. I miss having John on the show, but it's been good for Days to have think outside the Johnandmarlena box.

That last bit about Reilly/Aniston is hilarious.

• Members

Victor was generally written as feeble during that time, but I remember how suddenly he fell ill and then was carted off to a home.

I'm not a huge Jennifer Aniston fan but I liked when she went on Rosie O'Donnell's talk show somewhere in 1997 or so and basically tried to shame NBC into giving her father more storyline.

• Members

Yep, just proof what an ass JER was. For years we have been saying that JER had it out for John Aniston, Thaao Penghlis and Matthew Ashford and some people would defend him saying he didn't do that to actors because he was just focused on the characters, yeah right.

• Members

Wasn't Joey's Days character on Friends called Dr. Drake Ramoré? Obviously a shout-out to DH/Roman.

SO glad JER didn't kill off Victor. He is one of my favorite characters of all time and the fact that he now appears 2-3 times a week on Days makes me a happy viewer.

Also wanted to say that Drake Hogestyn gives a great interview here. He sounds thoughtful, bright and self-aware. Loved the point he made about little kids hearing the theme tune of their mother's fave soaps and it being a calming, nurturing thing for them. Daytime losing that multi-generational audience is a huge blow to its longevity.

Also loved the fact that he gets it about the eyebrow-raising/nostril-flaring jokes. I can't hate on somebody like Hogestyn (or Ronn Moss) because they tend to be grounded and gracious about their soap gig.

• Members

I remember that! I wasn't a Jennifer Aniston fan either, but she won me over for sticking up for her father. I have been such a fan of her father's for so long. Looking at how much Victor is contributing to Days in this limited role drives home how Reilly and others who followed him have wasted Aniston's talent all those years.

Archived