HBO: Game of Thrones

• Members

Oh wow I really don't know what to say except it's water under the bridge and I accept of course. I know I can be a bit passionate about some things and that can come off the wrong way. But this is one book series I just absolutely fell in love with and it's just so amazing. So for me I'm just hoping he can maintain and improve on the quality of the future books.

PM some time so we can discuss theories. I love discussing the characters and the plots from the book. The show just can't compare on any level except for the visual aspect and some stellar actors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Keanu Reeves' new film, John Wick, opened this weekend, with Alfie doing his heel role. I get annoyed when people say it's just like Theon, but I have no power over idiots.

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/10/23/alfie-allen-john-wick/

http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2014/10/top-20-alfie-allen-interview-1

http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2014/10/top-20-alfie-allen-interview-2

• Members

I can understand the choice, though I'm not thrilled. So long as they don't recast (and I have no expectation that they will - he's not like the other random Lannister kids, he is a principal cast member, and God knows he hasn't had any trouble aging since Season 1). He'll come back in a big way, which makes me happy. Team Bran.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The truth is Arya and Sansa are just about at the end of the line too, which is why Arya went on an extended walking tour throughout season 4. But I realize Arya is beloved by most fans, and while Sansa isn't as popular, she's a vital character and is connected to other vital characters like Littlefinger.

I will miss Bran but I can see why they made this choice. I just hope his absence won't mean more padding for some other characters who already get more than enough airtime.

• Members

I thought Arya's story in Braavos was fairly interesting, but to be honest, I'd rather see what happens with Sansa. I've read all the books, and I know what Littlefinger explains to her is his plan for her, but I don't see what Littlefinger gets out of that, which means there has to be more to it. I'm definitely more interested in what happens in Westeros as opposed to what's going on in the free cities.

• Members

Telltale Games releases more details about its new GOT adventure game.

Telltale is responsible for the incredibly good The Walking Dead adventure game which I highly recommend, available for consoles and computers, as well as, I believe, tablets. The game is focused on characters and choices vs. action and I cannot praise it enough.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I don't think the show has ever presented Ramsay as "not that bad". He's evil through and through, with a daddy complex. He has his reasons, but that is how GOT handles almost everyone on the show whether they are mostly good people or largely awful. He's still scum.

The rest, I don't read the books so I feel it's immaterial for me personally, especially as the show's version hasn't aired. I'll see what they do. I can't miss a character I never saw and I think they are very particular on whatever they are doing with Theon, unlikely to abandon it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Ramsay in the books is likely too horrific to ever put onscreen, and they do present him as being a bad guy (killing women, torturing Theon). I just think there's a certain ambiguity, intentional or not - oh, he's just trying to please his father, oh, Theon got what he deserved and it's not so awful (I don't think the show is saying that, but the somewhat gentler version of "Thramsay" helps blur the lines somewhat), oh, he has a consensual relationship with Myranda (as far as we know) which balances out what he did with other people, etc. And, while this is typical of TV, obviously - he's also much more handsome on the show.

The story in the books is one of those that some fans hold dear but is something that I don't necessarily think would work onscreen. It's really vile. But I feel like if you're going to make some changes, you may be better off cutting those ties altogether.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I think that ambiguity is essential to the show, though, and always has been in most of the characters, including the really awful ones like Ramsay. I'm sure at least some of what he experiences is in those books. Ramsay wants to be loved and recognized by his father, that doesn't make him any less a mad dog. The show obviously knows that. It's that or just have him be a total cartoon, and the show tends not to do that to even the worst people like Littlefinger, Tywin, Cersei, etc. Every character on the show has their reasons. That doesn't mean you should love them.

And I do think a lot (though not all) of what Theon has gotten, he deserved. But I don't think the show is even remotely suggesting that Ramsay is just a poor misunderstood guy who is just giving Theon his just desserts. It clearly wants you to sympathize with Theon after all that torture and indoctrination and say no man deserves this. It presents Ramsay as a delusional monster whose Achilles heel is his need for recognition.

Edited by Vee