HBO: Game of Thrones

• Members

Game of Thrones got 19 Emmy nominations. I'm sorry that more of the cast didn't get recognition, but I'm glad Lena Headey got one (this is her first I believe). And Peter Dinklage, who's won before, but has a decent chance this year (him or Aaron Paul).

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/tv/la-et-st-emmy-nominations-2014-list-story.html#page=1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I didn't even see her name on the list.

I think she deserved a nomination just based on performance. She was barely in this season, but she did some great work. I loved her scene with Margaery where she spoke about her late husband. She thought he was an idiot, but she loved him.

• Members

That comment is very rude, but to the fans who have been waiting almost 20 years for answers to basic questions, hearing a writer say they just don't have time because they only write under very specific conditions and they have so much else going on in their career - I can see why that stings. The books and the TV shows have also become very separate entities, so people who don't care about the show must be doubly annoyed.

That doesn't excuse endless, gruesome speculation over GRRM's health, and I can see why that angers him, but I don't think it's just that fans are ungrateful or callous.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The difference is you guys don't have any real valid reason to (except I don't buy the idea that GoT is some flawless piece of art of a show....). My viewpoints are my viewpoints and they represent a part of the readers of his novels who feel like the show has veered completely off the rails when it comes to the substance.

And Julia perhaps the way the guy said it was mean but I don't think he was being out of line. It's just a fact.But you're right that the creative process can't be rushed. However GRRM is doing his best to slow it down and there doesn't seem to be any type of motivation to at least sit down and try to get some work done.

Anyways I think his comments were comical at best so I really wasn't tripping when I read the article. If anything it made me sad cuz it confirmed to me that there might actually be no end to this series. I've been preparing myself for that eventuality but the moment it actually happens I know I'm gonna be super upset and angry.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

What petition? I definitely don't believe petitions make any difference in this world we live in. Money talks and money is what makes real difference.

Hence why GRRM is probably never going to finish that next book. Compared to the amount of money he's probably getting from HBO, the book is prob not even on his mind.

• Members

I don't believe that at all. This guy didn't spend his entire professional life writing this story just to forget about because he has a couple of bucks. He clearly has a passion for it to spend year after year with it, and he will see it through or die first. I find the whole death topic a little morbid. I can see a 20 year old thinking 65 is akin to having one foot in the grave, but George Bush Senior just jumped out of a plane at 90.

Edited by quartermainefan

• Members

Yep. He's been struggling to right these books for a very long time. I'd say, since the second book, he's been having a hard time. That's what happens when you create a world this big. Every time you write a sentence you have to make sure it doesn't contradict something else you've written. Even with help that takes a long time and probably results in bouts of writer's block. I have no idea if he'll ever finish, but if he doesn't it won't be for lack of trying, imo.

And yes, he's working on other projects. Sometimes people have to take a break from a project that's giving them a hard time in order to push forward and come back fresh. I swear there are some uber fans out there that would chain the man to his desk Misery style, if they had the option.

• Members

I miss him too. For me he and Cat were the emotional core of the show.

I'm dreading and looking forward to the Red Wedding in the books...on the show, Catelyn's death broke my heart, but the execution (no pun intended) wasn't the best for me because of the way they handled the Talisa death scenes. It felt fake.

On the other hand, I was more moved by Ned's death on the show than reading it in the book, I guess because there wasn't one set POV on the show.

I always try to find good profile photos of Theon and Robb because I think they're both so stunning and it's hard to find good icons of them (even harder to find one of Catelyn). I really liked this one, so I'm glad you do too.

• Members

I think Robb is mostly there to be the heroic archetype who falls. Nice guy and I cared about his story, but it never occurred to me that he was anything but a stalking horse for the true underdogs - Jon, Arya, Sansa, Bran, etc. That's how he was designed.