January 4-8, 2010

Toups

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol: Actually, it was just a plain conclusion after seeing this. :P It really wouldn't suit me nor the industry, one of the reasons being, for example, that FJ would be without a job. But these ratings and Frons' agenda can't be fought. The show kills itself best, no need for others to do it.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Webmaster

The ratings As The World Turns gets right now are unacceptable for cancellation, but that is just me. Though CBS won't uncancel the show unless it starts hitting a 2.5 and well over 3 million viewers with a demo on par with The Young and the Restless. There is no chance of that happening unless they do a storyline that gets consistent coverage from the likes of Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood.

• Members

Well if a gay couple can get married in one state, and can continue to be legally married in another, then how about a Nuke wedding! Perez Hilton can be an extra or something so ET and Access Hollywood would interview him LOL. Just kidding about Perez.

• Members

Cancelled shows almost never spike like this and especially in demos. It is almost like most viewers missed the news. Over the past four months, the writers have fixed up the show. The gains we are seeing are the product of better story. With each week, word speads and more people tune in. CBS wanted the show gone. They do research and can figure out rating movement well in advance. Never has a soap been given the ax 9 months early. I'm guessing that TPTB wanted to drop the ax before things got better. Granted, we are only talking a .3 shift in HH and 300,000 more viewers. CBS wants out and, unless there is some serious presure, they will not change there mind. Les Moonves said 'their day is over' and, unless ATWT hits a 2.4 within the next two months, nothing is going to change. If World Turns can rate higher than all of the ABC shows, then I could see another network picking it up. ATWT needs a 2.1 within 2 weeks and stay there.

I dislike Goutman but am so glad he is refusing to wrap the show up with vet returns. That will be the kiss of death!

• Members

Which ones are you thinking of? What you may dislike, others may be watching the show because of.

I don't think vet returns would be a kiss of death. They just wouldn't affect things very much either way because they likely wouldn't be substantial enough to matter. I can see why TPTB want to keep going with their stories if they believe they're good stories to tell, rather than go into "nostalgia mode." This doesn't mean they're ruling out vet returns later, just not changing their short-term plans simply because of the cancellation.

• Members

I guess each story has something to praise but I zap through most of Luke/Noah and Meg/Lily/Damian/Holden, and anything in the Mick story which doesn't involve Barbara. And most of the stuff with Dusty and Janet/Teri.

If they bring vets back just to bring them back, then it's not going to work, but I think there's a way to bring them back and add to the story. They had a perfect opportunity to bring back Lyla when her children were all going through problems at the same time (Margo with the fallout over Adam's return; Katie with being a new mother and Brad dying; Craig with his feelings for Rosanna and Carly) and they wasted the chance. I don't think Goutman cares that much about the history of the show or what vets can do to help strengthen the existing canvas.

• Members

It kills me that OLTL cannot seem to get out of this freefall. I am glad it is going out on top in terms of quality. And good for ATWT too. Y&R is unwatchable to me now. AMC and GH are worse. I have never understood Day's appeal, even in the 80's and still don't. But its ratings do not lie. People are digging it. What a comeback story.

Archived