The X-Factor: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Cheryl might as well settle and go back to the UK version. Her solo career has stalled, there are no more single releases from A Million Lights planned in the UK, due to Under The Sun flopping and lackluster sales of the album.

And despite what spin they want to give, it was not because of the Girls Aloud Greatest Hits album.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Under the Sun didn't flop. It sold well and consistantly, it just didn't have a high peak. It did as well as to be expected with limited promo. Her tour also sold very, very well. The only thing that did poorly is the album. Given the amount of promo it received it should've sold better. The next single is Ghetto Baby and she's shooting the video next week I think. It'll be interesting to see if she promotes it and how well it does.

I could support Cheryl going back to the X Factor UK, but I think she needs to put all her attention into her career. She could be huge if she put the effort in. This current CD was full of hits, but she didn't promote it as well as she could have. Under the Sun, Sexy Den A Mutha and then Ghetto Baby could've been a successful run of singles after Call My Name. These are also tracks that could work in the US, if she wanted to release them.

• Members

Cole was badly overexposed and probably needs more time for people to breathe. I think X Factor is dying, so if she wants to go back on the reality circuit, maybe she could be on The Voice UK (which has lousy judges and should replace most of them), or she could go on Strictly Come Dancing.

• Members

Under the Sun's performance was certainly not what she or Fascination were expecting coming off a #1 single with Call My Name. The album was a relatively strong effort from her (as much as can be expected), but felt a bit scattered and with no real flow or theme.

What do you think she could have done better promotional-wise with it? To be fair, it didn't feel like she promoted it any less than her two previous albums. Signs of her career being in trouble were even noticeable on her last album.

I still see a lot of people blaming the Girls Aloud GH album as an excuse for why the album didn't perform well, or why Cheryl's attention may not have been fully invested in it (yeah, because TWO new songs and promotion for a GH album took up so much time!). I just don't entirely buy that.

• Members

Cheryl has always been lazy as a solo popstar. For the first two albums she mainly depended on X Factor performances to launch the album and then everything died down after that. With this album she did a little more because she didn't have X Factor, but after Call My Name is just died. One thing that would help her is doing more interviews/performances when the singles are released. Under the Sun I think she performed once on TV. She needs to get out there promoting on radio as well.

Girls Aloud is starting to perform the Cheryl way of doing as little as possible and expecting #1 hits. Girls Aloud was always legendary for always hustling and performing 50 times to get where they were.

• Members

We're squarely off topic at this point, LOL. I think the British pop industry started to lose something when all the music/chart shows died or went out of style in the mid 00's. When that happened, it seemed like all the pop stars were relegated to were UK talk show appearances for promotion.

I miss the days of Top of the Pops and CD:UK, those type of music/performance shows were so unique to the British pop music industry, and I lived to see the performances of the acts I loved (even though they were all lip-synced - but so what!).

• Administrator

Due to X-Factor UK not doing as well as years past, there's rumours that Simon might do rejoin the show. And if Cheryl can settle things with the producers, she might rejoin also.

I really liked 5thH today but I think they'll be cut tomorrow. I still think Lauren and Allie are the best out of the five.

I hope Carly or Tate will win - definitely not rooting for E3.

• Members

Yes, I read that rumor and she was spotted in LA and went to visit Simon. But less than a week later, she sued the producers of X Factor USA -- Blue Orbit Productions, not Simon's SyCo Productions. So I'm not sure where exactly Simon and Cheryl stand right now. Are they on good terms or not?

Archived