GH: January 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think today's episode is just a perfect example of what a black hole Jason Thompson is when it comes to entertaining television. It doesn't matter what the material, and today's was excruciatingly dull, he just makes it all even more dull. His half comatose speech about how he grew up has to be a textbook example of an actor being anti-entertainment. The guy who plays Milo, the personal trainer at GH who appears on the show once every blue moon as a lark, he puts more into his scenes than this guy does. He makes Steve Burton look like someone who needs to bring it down a notch.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Jason Thompson is okay. Unfortunately Patrick, like every Guza recently created character, is superficial. Patrick has been on GH for four years and can't stand on his own because the writing has been so awful. His scenes with newbies like Lisa are painful to watch. Only Guza could think that doing jello shots, drinking beer, having sex, and liking NASCAR = wild. Compared to Robin and most of the other characters, Patrick is a snore. Yet Guza insists that Robin is lucky that she gets to stroke Patrick's ego and that he has given up his womanizing to parent his daughter and marry a woman who really shouldn't have given him the time of day.

• Members

Jason Thompson is a limited actor and the lack of any real character development for him has hurt him. But there seem to be very few men on this show who are able to help sell new female characters which is why it still boggles my mind that they'd kill off Georgie and Emily and keep someone like Patrick, Matt. Olivia has been the only successful female and that's only because she's attached to the 2 biggest airhogs on the show, Sonny and Dante. Characters like Leyla, Nadine rolled in and out in a year with situations outside of their control, no character depth or development. I think the show is a bigger mess than it ever has been. This Franco stuff handicapped everything.

• Members

Patricks only identity is as Robin's other half. That's what the show has done to his character. They haven't allowed the character to really interact much with anyone else or establish any ongoing friendships with established characters because Robin and Patrick have been in a bubble for 4 years.

• Members

Outside of Sonny, Jason, and Carly, friendships don't exist on GH any more. Characters don't have lunch at Kelly's or go shopping or hang out at each other's homes any more. Robin has several friends on the canvas and she rarely shares a scene with them e.g. Jax, Nikolas, Sonny, and Lucky. It is notable that these friendships were established in the early 1990s. Patrick does have a plot device friendship with Liz, but it doesn't alter the fact that he is a narrowly defined character with no substance. Patrick is a brilliant surgeon, hot doctor, former womanizer, and NASCAR fan. This isn't enough for a soap character and he isn't alone. I don't think Olivia is any better. She just gets more airtime.

• Members

He is a walking and talking prop who exists solely to give Robin something to react to. He has no personality except to contrast with her unrelenting perfection, and then whatever little problem they have gets resolved when his thinking gets molded to mirror her own. I just don't get what people see in these two. They are horrible, and she is just a nightmare of a wife whose sole job in the marriage is to beat him down until he agrees with anything she says. People say the women don't matter, that it is the men who matter most on GH, and yet when you take a look at what passes for marriages on the show it could send any groom running for the hills. Carly is going to give Jax's daughter a godfather that Jax can't stand. Robin just goes to work to henpeck and attack any decision Patrick makes about his patients--his, not hers. The best marriage on the show is Luke and Tracy, but only because as horrible a husband as he is, she is just as horrible a wife, so it all works out.

• Members

Tracy and Luke's marriage is horrific. I'm just grateful it doesn't get much airtime. Tracy is Luke's ATM and doormat. He steals her money, runs out on her, and she happy to have it him back. Tracy used to be horrible and fierce, but she kisses Luke's butt. This marriage gives Tracy airtime and saves her from Monica's fate, but she is nothing close to the character she was years ago.

Robin and Patrick's marriage is a mess, but I don't see him molded in her image or beat down. We are supposed to believe that love has changed him. Whatever. I might believe that if he didn't only want to marry her because she got pregnant. Also, Patrick ridicules Robin's drug therapy for her own patients so that professional bickering that they do goes both ways. We are supposed to find it cute. It has gotten old.

Carly is the only female character who has the upper hand in her marriage. She is written like a man, always.

• Members

Like a smug, entitled man, yes.

The Luke and Tracy marriage pains me because I like watching Tony Geary and Jane Eliot together. I get so psyched when I hear they are going to be on! Without fail, I am let down by their scenes. Not because of their performance, by God, no, but by the way, as you say, Luke uses Tracy. The show keeps telling us how Laura tried to suffocate Luke's mojo by being a boring old housewife and if that is the case (I certainly didn't see that in the 80s and 90s!), then are Luke & Tracy much better as a coupling? If the show just wrote for the natural chemistry that Geary has with both Eliott and Francis, then Tracy & Luke (and Luke & Laura) would be FIRE.

Another episode but still the same old Lisa-Patrick dialogue. Lisa: "OMG, Patrick, you were such a party animal and NASCAR fan -- I can't believe you really like being a boring dad!" Jesus, girl, change the record. WE ALREADY HEARD THIS CONVERSATION! And JT is a total bore, repeating the same ole shite (not his fault). Without Robin, Patrick would be... well, Dr. Matt Hunter!

• Members

I'm actually thinking the most interesting thing going on on this show has been the Franco stuff. At least the actor was interestng to watch even though the story was complete and utter crap.I don't watch GH much anymore but good lord everything on this show seems to be dragged out. I knew it wasn't Franco that caused it. It's just the way they write the show. The pacing on their stories are terrible.There is nothing wrong with a 2-3 month arc for example(like the Franco stuff) if the story evolves but the Franco story didn't. It's the same with this Liz/Lucky/Nik nonsense and now this Patrick/Lisa stuff is amounting to the same thing. And I feel sorry for the actress who plays Lisa. It's how this show's been written for the last couple of years. Stories getting dragged out between big events with the only big event worth a darn being The Carnival. I guess we all like what we like, but I think for the first time in years I really don't understand the attraction of viewers to this show. In the past I could see people liking the violence, Sonny, Jason, and Carly. And violence still brings in ratings but those 3 characters are just blabbering about nothing and all in stories that the show has made boring and uninteresting. Just endless conversation after conversation about the same things. Liz/Lucky/Nik have been the same thing as have now Patrick and Robin's story. It's actually gotten to the point of insulting. They really do write to the lowest common denominator.

• Members

It's not about Liz. It's about Man Hurt and Man Tears.

As often happens with the golden boy, I see "acting", no character whatsoever. Jon Lovitz as Master Thespian.

Genie Francis was one of the few who was good at getting him to actually stay in the character.

No wonder she's MIA these days.

Archived