December 14-18, 2009

Toups

• Members

What is going on with OLTL? People continually say the show is good, why doesn't that show in the ratings? Wouldn't any other HW have been fired by now with those numbers? The demos are good, but ratings suck, maybe that's why

I am surprised all soaps went down, I figured a few would, not all of them.

AMC's demos suck royally

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lucky and JJ were popular and fan faves but his relationships were what made it. And other than Liz and the crapping over they are doing with that, who else are they spending their time on with him. Not much with Luke, Lulu, Nikolas at all. He spends more time with Dante and Jason than anyone else it seems.

And a lot of the buzz surrounding JJ's return also involved GV being fired.

• Members

Quality rarely equates to popularity. OLTL has allegedly been a better soap for over a year and it hasn't mattered in the ratings. And why hasn't ABC done anything? IMO OLTL is going to be chopped at some point and I really don't see them investing anymore money into it. As far as AMC, while the demos for AMC and OLTL have not been great, AMC's ratings have been up even with as terrible and unappealing as the show has been yet the ratings have seemed pretty stable. I still want to know why Pratt, Guza's old buddy, was fired. It's probably something we'll never know.

• Members

Look at that rating for ATWT on Christmas Eve and its getting the axe. CBS will pay for this move in the long run.

I'm getting the feeling ATWT are really close to announcing a new deal within the next two months and will find a new network to plant it in CBS' face. ATWT needs to move somewhere, where it can be appreciated and get a bigger budget.

DAYS is just a ratings beast right now, there's no stopping it right now. The dream combo of DAYS and ATWT back to back.

GH has been very soggy lately but I think this is going to be a good week coming up as it will showcase the best use of James Franco so far.

Hopefully AMC's new beginning in February will re-spark the franchise like DAYS has done in 2008.

• Members

Rux, Where did you read that some of the ATWT actors think the show will find a new home? I'd love to check out that article. Does anyone in here think CBS would change it mind due to ratings spike over the next few months? I, do not; however, stranger things have probably happened.

• Members

I think CBS is done with it officially mainly b/c CBS just doesn't have the interest in the genre anymore and is looking for something cheaper to fill the void. I think the only chance it stays on CBS is if it moves to it's little sibling station The CW which would be a huge morale move for that network. It could be a great vehicle for the network to use ATWT as a tool to promote their Prime Time hours since the show is guaranteed to get 2-3 million viewers a day which is more than almost all of their Prime Time shows now. My hope is that it ends up on NBC next to DAYS b/c that show is going to hit a huge peak period next decade and ATWT can benefit from its ratings.

I get the feeling unlike with Guiding Light that they are actually shopping the show to another network. I haven't heard too many of the actors finding new work at this work at this point so they must be pretty confident that they will be working the show past 2010.

Either way it goes ATWT needs to be on a network that can afford it and put money into it like ABC has with AMC.

• Members

No network will pump money into a show they do not own. Do you think World Turns would still pull 2-3 million viewers on the CW? I did just read that Tyra Banks is calling it quits. I just don't see CW doing this because it is run also run by Les Moonves nd he will never run a non-special 'client-owned' soap. I could see NBCU picking up the show. First, the Comsast people are going to wanna make waves and do something risky. Second, NBCU has internationl distribution arms in Europe and Asia. This early in the game were any GL actors talking about new work? It has not even been one month and the actors who play Maddie and Damien have already quit.

• Members

I wouldn't even think about CBS and The CW. I hope in the future all the remaining soaps outside of ABC are owned by the networks. Comcast has plenty of money to takeover ownership of ATWT along with NBCU. ATWT will have to find a network that's willing to take ownership of their show.

I remember actors from GL already negotiating with other shows in March before the story broke on the 1st.

• Members

Actually, that's not true....

ATWT has a total of about 2,545,000 viewers. Of those, only 661,000 fall in the women 18-49 range. 33,000 are teenage girls, and 528,000 are men. Since teen boy viewership is negligible, that leaves about 1.3 million viewers who are women over 50....more than half of their viewers.

Archived