The Soapegist 12/21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...yeah. Was someone under the impression he'd signed a 4 year contract? I assumed the role was strictly pay for play, he was there as needed. And he's been there long enough. Mitch is beyond absurd. Rex and his daddy issues no one gives a damn about. Mitch having every non-contract character in his pocket. 13 weeks is more than enough.

• Members

For real. They're trying to make Mitch Laurence "happen," but it's just not. He doesn't have enough history or enough relationships to happen. Most of the people in Llanview now only hate him because of what they've *heard* he's done. "Ooooh, Mitch Laurence, that's that bad man." When Stenbeck returns to ATWT, most of the people there have a reason to hate him.

• Members

I think they have enough material to make Dorian, Jessica, Natalie, and Viki hate him. He made Natalie's life hell back in 2002, he raped Viki, and then all the ugliness with Dorian over the years. There was some genuine terror in the first few weeks of his return, which I can't say about James ever since they brought him back as a cartoon at the start of this decade.

For a short term return, to get attention and make stories go forward, I think this has worked, probably better than most of the returns of the past few years. The only part which has completely flopped is Rex being his son, because Rex is a waste of oxygen and I don't know if anyone even cares who his father is, it was telegraphed ages ago and besides Rex whining and feeling sorry for himself, again, there's no drama in it.

• Members

Yes. Or used this to bring in a new character. Or even do what they used as a red herring eons ago and made Charlie the father. It would have been interesting to have seen Rex have to try to get over himself and help Charlie stay off the booze. Making him Mitch's son just hasn't had any story potential. I think it's like David being Bo's son, which aside from a few amusing scenes, has led to a big zero.

• Members

They spent over a year building up Asa as David's father, and that didn't happen.

They could have had Roxy believe Mitch was the father, and then they learn it was someone else. I think that could have given them some new material. That's something Rex needs, as what he has now makes him look like a douche 24/7. Then again, JPL's "acting" manages to ruin the material which isn't so bad.

• Members

My question is does anybody care enough about Rex anymore to give a damn who his father is? This question was hovering around back when I was watching the show but at least then I remember people kind of liked Rex. In the last year I've seen a real backlash against the character to the point where people put him in the same category with John and Todd. Whether it was Mitch, Charlie, Spencer or, hell RJ, does it matter anymore who's the daddy if Rex isn't rootable?

It looks like Born is just being the fall guy for a bad story. Although in all fairness he's probably just the easiest to get rid of.

• Members

Out of all the stints that Mitch has had, have they ever explored the character's psychology and revealed what makes him act the way he does? Or is Mitch simply tagged as being "Evil?"

I'm still waiting for the point to Mitch returning this time... Or was Jared's death that point? If so, it's not enough.

As for Rex: Just get rid of him all ready!

• Members

I think Mitch is just a generic moustache twirling supervillian and, sadly, I don't think those types of characters work anymore, not the way they used to. It gets a little tiring to watch some cackling bulletproof reject from Marvel comics talk to himself as he describes his evil plan to exact revenge on his nemesis and take over the world yet again. At some point someone is going to do what you just did, they're going to ask why?

Archived